LLY: Balance Rates..

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
So I'm trying to get rid of the smoke, I have a higher mileage 05 LLY. The truck has no codes, starts right up and runs fine. it does have some white smoke while idling and can be alot more under heavy load.

I just got this truck so I don't have the money to replace all of the injectors right away. I'm debating on trying to do a couple problem injectors.

Before I do so I bought some GM injector cleaner and a new Baldwin fuel filter. Also some oil and AC Delco filter. I'm gonna try to buy some time if I can to save for the injectors.

Here are the Balance Rates, cold

And here are the pulse

From the pics can you tell which one(s) are bad?

Here is a video of it idling. In person it doesn't sound like it needs ice picked ( i dont know if the previous owner picked them or not) but hearing the video it sounds like it may, I'm needing your opinions. Also it wasn't really smoking. for some reason it doesnt always do it.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Injector #5 isn't happy for sure. That would be the first candidate to ice pick. And like NC-smokinlmm said, check the harness for rub-through near the alternator.

If things don't change after ice picking the injectors, you might try swapping two and see if the bad balance rate follows injector #5, or stays with cylinder #5. That will tell you if you need a new injector, or to look closer at the harness/motor.

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
#5 is under the fuel filter right?

Can you get to all of the harness to ice pick them? Or do you have to remove things just to get to the harness?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Yeah, use a 90° o-ring pick to lift the lock tab and then wiggle the connector free from the injector.

If you try to just squeeze the tab like you would think to do at first you will more then likely break it. Miles and time have made the plastic pretty brittle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
Thanks for the tip. Are all connectors pretty accessible without removing parts?

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
I decided not to ice pick because I'm not getting any codes and the truck doesn't sound like the one in the ice pick video at all.

I got the fuel lines off and it started raining on me. Can't wait to get this done..

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Here it is on my truck cruising down the freeway:
cae8348d4d3d0b42e7d41b92fdbc8651.jpg

Sent from my FlashScan V2

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
Yes, it is Torque Pro.

It has been raining for 3 days straight! It took a break for an hour so I was able to get the cleaner started.

Here is just after getting it started.

And its been pouring rain ever since. I have to wait until it quits before I can reconnect everything and change the fuel filter and oil and see if it helped at all.

CokeZero

Mar 19, 2016
Finally got another break from the rain, got everything back together and the new Baldwin fuel filter installed. Put the Diesel Kleen in the tank and fired it up.

These are the balance rates. Keep in mind when I took the first balance rates I hadn't ran the truck in a few days. And these are right after doing the injector clean. I haven't driven the truck.

So my questions are. From looking at these, what are the worst ones off? If you had to replace these 1 or two at a time, which ones would it be?

and last, is it dangerous to drive it like this? Am i at risk to melt a piston or anything?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'd start with #5 for sure. And it probably won't hurt anything to drive, but with injectors starting to leak, if one hangs open, it can do some damage. I'd personally run it while you save up for the new injectors. Start with the #5 if you are going to do them one at a time.