Bad parts counter experiences

chandler583

F'in New Guy
Dec 30, 2014
Houston, TX
My only story was of a customer I overheard at the local AutoZone. She came in asking for a rear windshield wiper blade for her car. She insisted it had to be curved because the window was curved.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Is it everywhere that dealers cant do a damn thing with a VIN #? Drives me nuts. Heavy Equipment are just as bad. I have the parts number in my hand you jackass no I don't have the VIN/Serial #.

The last one was I had to have a key made for my Chevy work truck. The parts guy needed the VIN to get the right key. Then refused to cut me a copy. Said he would only cut me a key if I paid for the key code to be looked up via the VIN. If it wouldnt of been the end of the day I would of told him to stick his $90 key up his ass and gone to my lock smith.

If a customer has a part number then that's great. I'll sell them whatever they want.

With our catalogs you can usually poke your way through them if you know what your looking for and where to find it. But when you get to particular items you HAVE TO HAVE the vin. There's no way around it.

For example. With Cummins. You are up shit creek without a engine serial number.

Do share, nobody said it had to be one sided, lol.

+1

I'd love to hear some stupid customer stories.

I have several that come to mind. First one is a normal call in customer.

Me answering the phone.

Me: Parts, Joe speaking how may I help you?
Him: Yes I need a part
Me: ok, what type of vehicle do you have
Him: well I called you so it must be a Ford! (We carry 6 brands)
Me: ok sir, what type of Ford?
Him: it's a truck
Me: ok sir, what type of truck?
Him: f150
Me: what year is it?
Him: 1995
Me: ok, what are you looking for?

From here forward I can't remember the rest but the part was no longer available and then he went on to argue with me about how all the f150's were the same and any year would work.

Another one is we had a hot shot driver come in and ask some questions about his truck. Which was a 6.0 and all he did was haul a trailer and do hot shot runs in this region. He was asking about maintenance and I went on to tell him what I recommended. 5k oil changes and fuel filters every other time. He then went to tell me that he would do 10k oil changes because thats just stupid and then here comes the best part. He would only do the filter every 20k! I just told him to have a good day. Running aftermarket filters and crappy oil would be the death of that engine alone. Add in extended oil changes and he's screwed.

If I think of more I'll post them.