Bad fuel

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Look at this shit we got yesterday. Discovered it after truck started running like shit and then water in fuel light came on.

We pumped this sample straight out of the pump. With a clean water bottle.

This is a city shell station. Not some back roads fuel

Attachments

• IMG_4610.jpg
    IMG_4610.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 114

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Look at this shit we got yesterday. Discovered it after truck started running like shit and then water in fuel light came on.

We pumped this sample straight out of the pump. With a clean water bottle.

This is a city shell station. Not some back roads fuel
That is the worst I have ever seen , that could cost you alot of money ! Take alot of pictures with the manager watching you sample the fuel , keep track of times and dates , ask if they have insurance coverage for this situation , contact an attorney , that sucks ! Everyone that gets that fuel will be having problems with there diesels !

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I had fuel similar to this once (not this bad) from a Holiday station in Iron River, MI. I got no help from them but my friend who had gotten fuel the day before (same batch) got assistance.

Yay corporations!! His 6.4L ended up hydrolocking and bending rods ect whereas I just had 2 injectors go out in my 7.3L, talk about being pissed off.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Hummm we had the same thing happen at a Shell too. It was the only station we fueled up at and we ended up making them pay to replace the fuel system in 3 of our work trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I really couldn't believe it. Probably sill wouldn't if I didn't pump it myself. Good idea on having manager there taking fuel sample. Truck is at dealership and there getting envolved with the deal. Truck is running like Shit. And that's after we drained the fuel system and put new in.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
This makes me wont to put a small clear bottle in the bed attached somehow so it dosent fly out , to take a look at the fuel prior to fueling ! I know we shouldnt have to do that but look what can happen ! I know my Cessna pre flight check list you must take a sample prior to and after each flight and fuel up to check for contaminates and water , I guess we need to start watching more closely !

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I'm a big fan of going to places that turn over a lot of fuel. This is my friends truck not mine. Around here I go to loves or ta. Figured the truck stops will have better fuel. This was a Neighboor hood market store.

But we was joking about having to sample fuel before we fill up anymore. We all know that fuel would have destroyed my lb7 injectors.

Anyone have any luck running a ton of diesel clean to see if truck will clean up.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I'm a big fan of going to places that turn over a lot of fuel. This is my friends truck not mine. Around here I go to loves or ta. Figured the truck stops will have better fuel. This was a Neighboor hood market store.

But we was joking about having to sample fuel before we fill up anymore. We all know that fuel would have destroyed my lb7 injectors.

Anyone have any luck running a ton of diesel clean to see if truck will clean up.

Buy a sump, drill the drain hole in the tank, install sump, fill with fuel, run it.

Did that on my dad's LBZ in a similar situation (tons of water) and it worked great.

SAC owner

Aug 18, 2017

get that crap out of there fast before
corrosion starts in the injectors and flush flush and flush some more, we have saved a few trucks here at the shop

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
The above two post sounds promising. Thanks. We did drain the tank. Then used the primer to remove all that we could. Filled with new diesel and fuel filter. Let it idle and it was sounding like it was clearing up some. Ran it 5 miles and it was still acting up. White smoking a little. And then blowing big puffs of white smoke just for a second every few miles. Then he decided to take it to a dealer. See what they say then might bring it back home and try more things.

And exhaust still smells bad

And what do you mean by flush? Pull everything apart and flush or something else?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Probably should have crack the lines lose at the injectors and crank it to bleed them. I’m not sure how that works on our CR diesels though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Did you tell the Shell station owner to not sell any more fuel till the problem was taken care of ? Is he going to help with your situation ? It is not your fault !

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
They did bag the pumps. This is my buddy's truck so he's handling that part. He did file a complaint state is suppose to dip tank. Havnt heard anything else on that. They have had two tank violations in the last 5 years.

Picked up a used snap on modis today. So now we can read balance rates
Fixing to clean fuel system and replace just the 3 bad ones for sure. Then go from there.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Why that might not be a good idea to just change three , is because many times on this site I have seen that when there is a real high one it is trying to compensate for one or more others , you might consider sending them all out to be cleaned and checked and clean the HP lines ,because those were full of thet crap ! if there are not too many miles on the injectors ! You could end up playing with this for weeks otherwise ! Lincoln sells remans very reasonable as do others , I hope someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in ! Good luck !

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Well I understand the concern on just changing a couple. But here's what we did. Changed just number 2 and it's night and day difference. I still think there's one that's causing just a slight knock when you let off throttle but most people wouldn't even notice.

So going to drive it for a bit and see what it does. Couldn't believe one injector jacked with the others so bad. We will see what happens. If nothing else will throw in a set of injectors from Brent.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Great , I hope that is all you have to deal with , thats not common with the amount of crud you put through that fuel system , but you may have lucked out !

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
well I hope so for him. Trying to save him some money and get him back to hauling. He called today and said its still running good just still have a slight knocking when you let off the throttle around 30-50 mph.

Can you shut off injectors while driving down the road or is this a bad idea?

was thinking could shut one off at a time and and see if the knock goes away on decleration.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Some people have had success running a full bottle of diesel kleen ,I think thats the name the silver bottle that treats 100 gal , put it in 25 gal of fuel , varying the throttle from high to low speeds . Although that much water , the damage might be done ! I have never shut the injectors off going down the road , so someone else will need to answer that , but I would think that would depend on RPMs !