bad ball joint????

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
when turning left my right side wheel is moving... like while in a curve all the sudden i feel something shift and the truck turns harder to th left. when i straighten up it shifts back normal. I can feel it move in the steering so I know its major. Its not the hub cuz I cant wiggle the wheel assembly when its jacked off the ground. Also when turning left the brake rubs on the right front rotor so something is definetely moving around. would it be a bad ball joint in the upper control arm?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
A ball joint isn't what I would suspect since you mention it rubbing the rotor, I would suspect a bad nub bearing just from that detail. You need to go and jack up that tire off the ground and get a pry bar and check the ball joints and the hub bearing.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Mine did that one time when it was a REALLY bad wheel bearing in the hub - could feel the truck shift when turning. :eek: HOWEVER, when that tire was jacked up off the ground, it moved a LOT (like 1+ inches in and out) when grabbed at top and bottom and rocked back n forth. It was CLEARLY bad.

I would like to know more about how to check ball joints though...

super38834

kidrock
Dec 3, 2009
Corinth,MS
sometimes you have to jack one side at a time to find a bad bearing. when you jack in the middle it will let the axles put it in a bind where it makes it hard to feel the slack.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Mine did that one time when it was a REALLY bad wheel bearing in the hub - could feel the truck shift when turning. :eek: HOWEVER, when that tire was jacked up off the ground, it moved a LOT (like 1+ inches in and out) when grabbed at top and bottom and rocked back n forth. It was CLEARLY bad.

I would like to know more about how to check ball joints though...

To check ball joints , jack up truck by the lower control arm ( must be lower control arm ) leave an inch or two between the ground and tire , put a pry bar between the ground and tire and pry up and watch the ball joint to see how much it it goes up and down , unless you can find the spec , check another truck to find out "normal" movment is . alot of times ball can pass a "wiggle" test and still be bad .

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Most of the times i've found that a bad ball joint will want to "dart" when the crown in the road changes. You have to correct the steering wheel the opposite way the joint "flops". You would think you have worn tie rod but it will end being a bad ball joint. Worst way to explain this but I hope it helps. Jacking the truck up by the lower a-arm and using a pry bar is the best way to find a bad ball joint. You will be able to see the movement in the joint. You also hear a popping when turning or going over bumps in the road.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I got the whole darting action thing going on that you're talking about. My truck needs a fair amount of TLC at the moment. It hates me for neglect. :angel:

Last edited: