Autostart

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
So the awesome girlfriend was looking an autostart/keyless entry for me for Christmas and was told to have an aftermarket autostart you needed an aftermarket alarm as well. I'm very uneducated on these electronics and was curious if this was true. The reason being is the place she was at quoted 800 for autostart/alarm installed. Is that reasonable?

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
my autostart cost me $50 and no alarm. i installed it myself. 800 seems f-ing nuts, now if you want the alarm thats up to you. mine does start, lock unlock with drivers priority, (one push driver, two pushes all doors) and i have an output to either trigegr high idle or kick on the heated seats. not sure which im going do yet. it has a wait to start sensor input so it will wait for the glow plugs.

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
autostart AS-2775, i used several relays and diodes so i might have another 25 in misc crap, but if you got the know how there cake to install.
Actually looking through my paperwork I lied, I bought a passlock interface box, but I cant find the info on it, just the wire locations. i think it cost me less than $30 for that box. of course the ones for the 03 up were more money. I have an 02.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Oh okay...I'm not that electrical saavy. I'm looking for an off the shelf kit that's decent and not horribly overpriced.

Max Power

Mar 16, 2007
Manitoba
You don't need an aftermarket alarm, you need an factory security bypass. Go to bypasskits.com and entry your truck and you will see the options. Something like the GMDL-BP makes the installation a breeze. I don't recommend the XK-01 as I have had issues with it on diesel trucks.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks I'll check it out. So all I would need is a bypass and then the autostart? Also I assume if I want an alarm and autostart I would have to buy both aftermarket correct? Just thinking if it bypasses the factory one I'd have to supply my own

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I aint no guru on these kits tony but 800 sounds way high to me. i could see for around 400-500 bucks installed but even thats a bit high for a basic remote start only deal. I my viper remote start for 150 bucks installed but i also had a buddy hook me up and install it :D.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Yeah she was looking at the viper one compatible with my iPhone that just did lock, unlock, start/stop and arm the alarm. I don't want anything too crazy just be nice to let the truck warm up for a few before I leave for work

Linden

Sparkplugs FTL
Dec 12, 2009
Florida
i usually tell people not to go cheap on the alarm/remote because the cheap ones are known too break and leave you stranded. because the security key interface malfunctions and even your key wont work. but 800 is ridiculous get a compustar and never look back best alarm ive ever owned

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Can someone give me a list of parts needed to do this for me? Just to maintain an alarm, autostart the truck and lock/unlock. If you could give me a high end option and low end. Autostart from my iPhone would be awesome

DURAMAXNV

Jul 31, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I just had the Viper start/alarm installed on my truck yesterday along with the smart start so I can unlock/lock and start it from my iPhone. Ran me $600 out the door.

bmos37

Nov 23, 2008
Gainesville,FL.
Yeah she was looking at the viper one compatible with my iPhone that just did lock, unlock, start/stop and arm the alarm. I don't want anything too crazy just be nice to let the truck warm up for a few before I leave for work

The stereo shops are in the business of trying to sell you the bells & whistles, but reality is what MAXPOWER posted, is exactly what is needed & nothing more, Although that VIPER set-up is sweet,but also overkill!