AT&T iPhone to Android

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Looking at a new smart phone since my old ass Iphone 3GS is acting up and was considering an Android. I want to know if anyone has made the switch and if so what their thoughts are. Now I'd love the HTC Evo (don't think that's android) but I'm not on Sprint and not wanting to switch my carrier from AT&T. Also what's the newest most badass 4G phone (not looking to stay with 3G) and how compatible are these phones with iTunes, since I have a good bit of music on my iPhone and want to use my phone instead carrying an iPod as well. Thanks guys sorry for the all the questions.

Posted on DP as well but I know not everyone goes there.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
i know you stated you want to stay with at&t but i ghave to say that the verizon 4g crap is FAST . i bought my younger bro the htc thunderbolt. with the mobile hotspot stuff i was able to stream a netflix movie while my bro was on xbox live playin some modern warfare. verizon also carries the stupid iphone4 but its not 4g. the thunderbolt gets my vote

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
That's pretty badass man! Thanks for the info but my main issue with switching is:

1. I have no real problem with AT&T
2. I don't want to pay the early termination fee
3. I switched to AT&T to get the iPhone and the Mrs. had some real bad issues with Verizon so I steer clear

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
We just switched from the Iphone 3gs and they worked fine full bars no dropped calls internet worked great. We have the same service from ATT but changed phones we have the HTC Inspire 4G and I do not see what these guys rave about. I feel like i'm on welfare with this damn phones. They both have crappy service in the same areas that the iphone had not dropped calls the internet is slow as hell. Like I said we stayed with ATT just switched to what was said to be so much better of a phone then the Iphone. Were about ready to take them back and insert them in someones ass and have them upgraded to the Iphone4. Theres less apps then the Iphone had also and the battary dies fast.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Wow...good to know Henry. I wasn't sure cause I know people love to bag on the iPhone. I am satisfied with mine just don't like the fact that Apple refuses to do Flash and that they can't seem to get a handle on the 4G market whereas every other phone on the market just about has it.

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
I have iPhone 4. At the beginning of the year I by all means had to have an android phone. I bought the samsung captivate. I kept it for 2 days. Sold it on craigslist and swapped back to my iPhone. I hated the android phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Wow...good to know Henry. I wasn't sure cause I know people love to bag on the iPhone. I am satisfied with mine just don't like the fact that Apple refuses to do Flash and that they can't seem to get a handle on the 4G market whereas every other phone on the market just about has it.

This piece of crap has 4G but you need a area that supports it not all do. Flash is not that big of a win I wanted the biggier screen 4.5" and the wife is about ready to kill me over this HTC phone and that little green Android guy she wants her Iphone back.

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Go with the iphone 4, any android phone is plactic and cheap. IMHO a phone needs too feel sturdy. No android phone is that, the iphone may be heavy but it is well built and if their are updates or glitches it is fixed before you can notice those issues. My vote, stick with the iphone and upgrade too the 4 :thumb:

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
The iphone 4 isn't that much of an upgrade IMO...and not worth sticking with for 2 more years. But I'm keeping it as an ipod anyway

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
The iphone 4 isn't that much of an upgrade IMO...and not worth sticking with for 2 more years. But I'm keeping it as an ipod anyway

iPhone 4 is a huge upgrade. The RAM is faster, the screen is unbelievable, camera is amazing, video in 720p, full music library and iPhone integration in the truck means music is always there.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
My girl has the htc evo on sprint and she's been begging me to get an iPhone for her. She is on phone number 3 I believe. It freezes up constantly, sends texts to the wrong contacts, and the battery life is like having a AAA in it. I found a bigger battery for it but it's the size of Texas and she can't tell any difference. That's with everything turned off(wifi, gps, etc.). And the 4g is a joke around the stl area. The apps aren't as good IMO. The simply everything plan from sprint is the best part. Unlimited everything for 99 bucks.

Turn1

May 5, 2010
The "A"
Finally a topic a may be able to help with. This question is the proverbial Ford or Chevy question. However, I just want to point a couple of things out:

1. Phone service is dependent upon the carrier and the device. YMWV depending on where you are and what level of coverage the carrier has in your primary area and what device you have.

2. How/What you use the phone for is directly related to how well the phone and carrier performs in your eyes you. Making and maintaining calls is no longer the only thing important to users. Its important you pick the carrier and device best for you and what you want out of the device and service

3. IPhone's success is around its innovation in making a smartphone easy to use so it has huge consumer appeal. Some people don't want to think about the phone-they just want it to be easy and simple to use. This is brought about with some configuration control. Android is the converse-anything goes flexibility but there is the trade off because apps can introduce instability in the Android OS.

5. When comparing Apples to Apples on the objective criteria one phone is only marginally (if that) better than the other and it depends on who's doing the testing.

The Motorola Atrix is the best Android phone ATT has. The EVO is the Best Sprint has and the IPhone is the best phone Verizon has. Ive owned them all as a matter of my job and evaluation isnt totally scientific. Sprint and Verizion have true 4G service which is based on Clear (at least Sprint is) and is crazy fast. ATT's 4G is not true LTE but okay. I have the Atrix and love it.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
iPhone 4 is a huge upgrade. The RAM is faster, the screen is unbelievable, camera is amazing, video in 720p, full music library and iPhone integration in the truck means music is always there.

Ditto. I just switched to the iPhone 4 last week from a 3G and the upgrade could be best described as holy $hit fast! I had no idea how far back in the dark ages I really was.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks for the write up turn 1 finally someone with real phone knowledge, or more than the avg user.I'm really liking the evo so far! Haven't turned my computer on since I got it other than to put my itunes music on it which with airsync isn't even necessary since it can do it wireless ly

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Ive had my EVO for probably 8 months now and like it pretty well. I made the jump from att and my iphone for a few reasons. First I would have had to pay alot more for the data as compared to sprint, second was sprint offers a healthcare worker discount so I pay like $96 a month for both my lady and I as compared to $200 for the same plan with low minutes and unlimited data. I do agree the battery life is a bit short but you just have to make sure you turn the wifi gps and 4g off and it lasts much longer. Apparently if you are tech savvy you can root the droid phones which you cannot with the iphone. The iphone however is as Steve said much more easily integrated with your computer etc as where the EVO is not. Now that you have your EVO go play with an iphone and see what you think. If you like it take your droid back and get the iphone

pepperidge

Member Club 12
Jan 12, 2007
Slidell, La
if you want to speed up the inspire or any droid based phone...download the app
"advanced task killer"...you'd be surprised at how many apps are running in the background...