At my wits end........

madmathew

Jun 10, 2011
I have been chasing an air leak on my 2001 LB7 for a couple weeks now and I still don't have solved. Its better but not good. If it sits for a couple days I can hear the air working through the injectors and it takes 20-30 seconds of cranking to get it to start. I have replaced all the fuel hoses on the engine, replaced the filter housing, found a small leak at the FICM and took care of that, blocked off the vacuum test port. I am thinking about shimming the pressure relief valve, maybe I am loosing some pressure there? Before I replaced the injectors 65000 miles ago, it started to crank longer than normal before starting and has been that way ever since. I considered that maybe the injectors are bypassing but, the balance rates look good. The worst one was 2.2. That wouldn't explain the air getting into the system either. Any ideas?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
a gas cap with an air chuck end drilled into it and some regulated down shop air will pressurize the lines real quick and tell you if you have a leak

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Injectors can bypass a lot and still have perfect balancing rates. What exactly do you mean you can hear the air working through the injectors?

madmathew

Jun 10, 2011
Have you checked out the filter head?

Its brand new. I am going to try the air and going over the system piece by piece with a Mityvac. That filter head is new but maybe there's something wrong with it. It wouldn't be the first bad new part I've seen.

TMAN

Aug 13, 2015
It could be your fuel pressure regulator letting fuel leak back making it harder for it to build fuel pressure causing hard starts or any other valve in fuel system causing an internal leak would cause the same problem

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

madmathew

Jun 10, 2011
I have now checked it with pressure and vacuum and can't find any leaks. With the return side hose pinched off it held 15 inHg for 3 hours. It drives great once started and hasn't thrown a code in years. I drive it today and shut it off, popped the hood and tried seeing how many pumps on the primer it would take and I could pump it 38 times. It still sounds like there is air in the system when I start it. WTF?

madmathew

Jun 10, 2011
It could be your fuel pressure regulator letting fuel leak back making it harder for it to build fuel pressure causing hard starts or any other valve in fuel system causing an internal leak would cause the same problem

I have not tied shimming the pressure relief valve yet, do you think it bleeding off could cause this? I saw the could posts where people had said that 2001 trucks had problem with the relief valves. It really sounds like it has air in the system when it first starts. It sounds like a gas engine detonating and runs for about 5 seconds.

TMAN

Aug 13, 2015
It may not be your problem but it can cause a hard start issue if you pump the hell out of the fuel primer and it doesn't built pressure that is what I would check