Assembling motor. Need answers!!

lil bleur

Its all good until..BOOM!
Oct 6, 2015
York PA
Or pressurize it externally.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I wouldn't worry about that. If you use a good assembly lube, just start it up. It will get oil pressure soon enough. Just let it idle for a bit. That's how I've done it on all the 100+ engines I've rebuilt. Haven't ever had a bearing spin because of it.

Last edited:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Everyone has to start somewhere, where do you think all the top engine builders started?

I think its awesome your building it yourself, saves you a good amount of money as well.

They didn't start by putting oil on the back sides of the bearing shells :roflmao:

Yes it's not rocket science, but it shouldn't be taken lightly. Just like a transmission, there's a difference between assembling a short block and building a short block.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If you don't have answers to all your clearances that's a good sign you should not be building it yourself. That doesn't mean you can't learn but there is a right way and the rest.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
They didn't start by putting oil on the back sides of the bearing shells :roflmao:

Yes it's not rocket science, but it shouldn't be taken lightly. Just like a transmission, there's a difference between assembling a short block and building a short block.

I think the point this guy was trying to make was that if you question where to put assembly lube, how would you feel confident in that person knowing how to check bearing clearances or even if they know the difference between standard specs or racing specs for clearances ? I agree everybody starts somewhere but if its a duramax Thags being built, even stock parts aren't cheap much less aftermarket. So one mistake on overlooking something small yet critical could cost a fortune.

Either way, to the original poster- there's lots of knowledge on here and people will help. rather be flamed a bit for asking questions and do it right than guess and lose an engine. Best of luck to you, keep updating if you can

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Nobody's perfect. I for one am glad the o/p asked first. Would've been a shame if he spun a main (or worse).

BTW, o/p...when I rebuilt mine, I used AllData for the installation steps and torque values.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
The orignal way to become old and knowledgeable was to make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes cost money. Luckily we have these forums to ask questions and compensate on making the mistakes. My first small block Chevy I built I slathered both bearing surfaces with assembly lube. It survived just fine. However that was maybe 320hp max.

lil bleur

Its all good until..BOOM!
Oct 6, 2015
York PA
The orignal way to become old and knowledgeable was to make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes cost money. Luckily we have these forums to ask questions and compensate on making the mistakes. My first small block Chevy I built I slathered both bearing surfaces with assembly lube. It survived just fine. However that was maybe 320hp max.
I was lucky to grow up helping my dad rebuild engines. If I didn't have him to teach me, I prolly would have done that too!:D

DuraLb7Max

Dec 18, 2014
Thanks for the support I have been out of town, so i am back at it again. Sorry for the delay with my responses. As for the people responding too have someone more knowledgable do the work please do not even bother being in this thread. For the people rooting me on please continue with your knowledge. Just to make sure I'm going to dry the girdle and cap side. On the #5 cap and girdle/cradle there are only 3 thrust bearings period. Or are there 4? I'm sure another dumb question, but I'm trying to learn. I also have all data guiding me along the way.

DuraLb7Max

Dec 18, 2014
I went back and made sure the girdle side and cap side were dry along with back side the bearings and reinstalled the bearings now I'm going to check the clearances. I will start to load pics as I go along

DuraLb7Max

Dec 18, 2014
picture.php

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Is this a stock rebuild? Was any machine work done?

You can plastigage everything, but that's skipping out. You need to mic all your journals on the crank, and the main bores with bearings installed to make sure everything is true/round. Plastigage is only to verify your readings and calculations before final assembly.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Not sure if it's just the lighting but you don't want anything on the bearings when you're going to check the clearances.