Anything Diesel...Why So Much More???

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Anyone remember the Duramaxtuner Rod fiasco ??? :roflmao:

Haha, yes. I remember his brilliant mind thinking 3kpsi cylinder pressure was going to be the point where "other things" will start to break. Little did he know thats close to what a duramax does in stock trim. If he would have designed the rods to handle 4500-5000psi in cylinder they may have held at 700hp :thumb:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
The magic will occur when somebody figures out how to make peak power at 6000+.

The stock rods will only be dealing with the same load as they would with a 500HP tune-only truck, but you will have 1500HP.

Problem? The heat of vaporization of diesel makes it difficult. The faster you spin, the faster the fuel must vaporize. Liquids don't burn, only gases. The faster the fuel vaporizes, the colder the air charge becomes. The air charge temp must be high to vaporize the fuel, and initialize combustion. It's a Catch-22. The Audi race diesels aren't making peak power higher than 6000 last I read.

The only way to pull off the trick will be to have injectors that spray gaseous diesel instead of a liquid. Since current injector design uses liquid diesel to lubricate the parts, it would have to be a whole new kind of technology. Pilot injection helps (keeps air temp up), but it can only do so much.

Oh, and the entire head design is for a 3200rpm target. You'd really want a lot more flow. Think Hayabusa or Cobalt heads. Straight shot ports.

Many of the diesel pulling tractors are leaving the line at 6,000rpm however I cant tell you where the peak power is without some more research. Judging by the tone from the sidelines though id say they are making peak power down towards 5kish. Theyre running 200psi+ in the intake manifold, filled or billet blocks/heads and compression ratios nearing single digits.

Some of the ones converted to alky will touch 7,500rpm but again, not running on diesel anymore.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
You guys also need to compare apples to apples. Sure you can get a full BBC rotating assembly for 600 bones, but lets be honest those are low quality parts. Crower rods for the dmax are what 2600? Well guess what, the Crower rods in my 400 were just over 2k. The crank in that motor was knocking on 4k. So when you compare quality SBC/BBC parts to DMAX parts the price is a lot smaller. Again apples to apples, a 700hp SBC is going to have as much money in it as a 700hp Dmax, more or less

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Duramaxtuner rod fiasco???

So I am just a baby :baby: in the world of diesel motorsports
What is the duramaxtuner rod fiasco?
I ran a spade tune from them for a while, had no issues, what did they/he do?
Anyone got a link i can read?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
So I am just a baby :baby: in the world of diesel motorsports
What is the duramaxtuner rod fiasco?
I ran a spade tune from them for a while, had no issues, what did they/he do?
Anyone got a link i can read?

Started making his on brand of connecting rods. Used inferior steel, all sets failed.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
You guys also need to compare apples to apples. Sure you can get a full BBC rotating assembly for 600 bones, but lets be honest those are low quality parts. Crower rods for the dmax are what 2600? Well guess what, the Crower rods in my 400 were just over 2k. The crank in that motor was knocking on 4k. So when you compare quality SBC/BBC parts to DMAX parts the price is a lot smaller. Again apples to apples, a 700hp SBC is going to have as much money in it as a 700hp Dmax, more or less

LoL my Bowtie 400 sbc with the Weldtech ported Brodix heads and Jesel shaft mount,Lunati Pro Crank and Lunati Rods and J&E 8 to 1 pistons. Setup for a larger turbo or blower cost a hell a lot more then my Duramax toys. Hell the J&W Ultra Glide and the 8" 5,500 converter was a damn arm and a leg. The Crank only weighs 37 lb a lot better throwing around then these Duramax parts lol. There's some pics in my profile area thing of the motor and of the parts. I need to finish playing with the car and use the truck as a truck. Not like I race the thing just drive it a beat up on the cars at red lights these days and young punks leaving work in there sports cars that think they have something.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Was pricing VW Tiguans the other day. Diesel is 3,200 option.

While not as true anymore, diesels used to always come with a higher trim level as well on European cars.

True to form on the 2011 golf tdi I bought/financed. The tdi came with the mid level trim as a base, came with the sport suspension package like a gti too, had the upgraded stereo, power everything, 17" alloy wheels and "low pro tires" i added the cold weather package for the heated mirrors and seats and not to forget the rear window defrost and heated window washer nozzles. The only other things I added was a sunroof and dyna-audio. Standard trim was better than base for the tdi(in that model year) fer sure!