Anyone worked with Ford 6.4

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Yes the 6.4 is worse then the 6.0 to put it simply its basically the same motor with big fuel capability and I have had them apart and found cracked pistons. melted pistons, I have never seen the under side of the valve cover more sooted up then on this one 6.4. BUY A CUMMINS!!! if ones does fail your looking at 15K to have a rebuilt engine installed.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I worked on 6.0's 7.3's and 6.4's before Cat and I can say the 6.0's are far worse than 6.4's. I didn't work at a dealership so didn't see all the new fancy contractor 6.4's but got our fair share.

the cab and chassis 6.0's don't have as much issues mainly because their 75hp less. less HP/heat, less problems.

I towed my single cab and trailer (8300lbs) home from vegas with a king ranch 6.0 and it overheated twice on me on the way home. I had to bring a ford scan tool (IDS) and watched oil and coolant temps on a 100% stock truck. It was horrible.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Cummins all the way. The fords at the barn have all had catastrophic engine failures 6.0 and 6.4 trucks i dont have real details other than all failed while pulling. And were replaced with 6.7 ps trucks. I sure dont understand the brand loyalty through all the diesel garbage they have produced after the 7.3.

Get a cummins if you do in fact NEED the gcwr/gvwr. If you just want the big numbers for a maybe scenario then go 3500 gm.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Yes to all the above and the 6.7 PS are just as bad imho as the 6.4's. We have nothing but problems out of ours. One of our 6.7 Pstrokes blew up at 60,000 miles. They eat radiators, egr coolers and turbos.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Yes to all the above and the 6.7 PS are just as bad imho as the 6.4's. We have nothing but problems out of ours. One of our 6.7 Pstrokes blew up at 60,000 miles. They eat radiators, egr coolers and turbos.[/QUOTE]

Haven't they always done this.:D They just haven't learned yet. Have a friend with a 6.0 and he is always in for the EGR cooler or the turbo. Its under warranty and they just keep fixing it with stock parts.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Yes to all the above and the 6.7 PS are just as bad imho as the 6.4's. We have nothing but problems out of ours. One of our 6.7 Pstrokes blew up at 60,000 miles. They eat radiators, egr coolers and turbos.

No kidding... Didnt know that either, damn that sucks every truck at the barn are loaded king ranches, none are over 30k yet though. I did a count yesterday there are 8 powerjokes, 7 are 6.7, 1 is a 7.3 with over 500k. 5 cummins 3 6.7, 2 5.9 cr, 9 duramax's all lbz or newer now mileage from 15k-300k+,

Imo there is nothing harder on a truck or a better test of strength then livestock or horse trailer pulling. Trailer have gotten HUGE our 48 can push 30-35k and there are bigger trailers than ours. The draft horse trailers are insane heavy even aluminum. They are tall and flat nosed, so if the gm's are dominating the horse and cattle scene (here atleast) i would say they are more than strong enough for anything your gonna do.

Gvwr is dependent on the gcwr of the truck and trailer to an extent. Unless you are gonna mount a mondo huge utility bed with multiple engine drives or whatever you do you shouldnt have an issue