Anyone play with class 8?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Who's in the semi world here? I have a great opportunity and just need some insight to the big stuff world. Pm me or we can talk about it in here if you don't care..

Basically looking at opening up a Fleet services center. Basic stuff to get started. Service jobs, tires, brakes, trailer repair, small repairs to begin with. It's what I originally went to school for and never wanted to apply it until this came along.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I do buddy ,certified heavy duty diesel tech I maintain a fleet of trucks daily everything from concrete mixers to gravel haulers ,truck and trailer what do you want to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I do buddy ,certified heavy duty diesel tech I maintain a fleet of trucks daily everything from concrete mixers to gravel haulers ,truck and trailer what do you want to know?

Good money to be made?

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Absolutely very very good money there is never a shortage of work, truckers are the backbone of America they hold up all the grocery stores we will always need them ,they run hard and are constantly breaking stuff between the heat , Bad roads, older trucks and trailers on the road with lack of maintenance, careless drivers that don't PM THEIR trucks lol The work is endless
Sounds like you just want to start with the basics ,
To start -you would get very familiar with changing brake chambers, and adjusting the brakes to spec ,changing wheelbearings or doing wheel bearing adjustments, along with leaky wheel seals, S cams and bushing replacement of brake shoes+ drums disc brakes, Air leaks air valves that need replacement (have to know what your doing to troubleshooting air brake systems) full-service including oil change and all filters , greasing truck and trailer
All that's mentioned above goes for the trailers too along with inspecting suspension components like hangers and torsion bars looking for broken or missing bolts worn out bushings etc etc , I can go on and on that's just the beginning depends how deep you want to go

Oh yeah you could be busy enough just changing tires alone they make a couple convenient tools that make changing a semi truck tire very very easy no more old days of using bars

blue09dmaxx

Too broke for this shit
Jan 15, 2012
The south
Absolutely very very good money there is never a shortage of work, truckers are the backbone of America they hold up all the grocery stores we will always need them ,they run hard and are constantly breaking stuff between the heat , Bad roads, older trucks and trailers on the road with lack of maintenance, careless drivers that don't PM THEIR trucks lol The work is endless
Sounds like you just want to start with the basics ,
To start -you would get very familiar with changing brake chambers, and adjusting the brakes to spec ,changing wheelbearings or doing wheel bearing adjustments, along with leaky wheel seals, S cams and bushing replacement of brake shoes+ drums disc brakes, Air leaks air valves that need replacement (have to know what your doing to troubleshooting air brake systems) full-service including oil change and all filters , greasing truck and trailer
All that's mentioned above goes for the trailers too along with inspecting suspension components like hangers and torsion bars looking for broken or missing bolts worn out bushings etc etc , I can go on and on that's just the beginning depends how deep you want to go

Oh yeah you could be busy enough just changing tires alone they make a couple convenient tools that make changing a semi truck tire very very easy no more old days of using bars

Golden tools are awesome when changing tires

As far as my lawyer comment, with so many people being sue happy and you being fresh I'd go under someone until you get certified or can hold your own. Most federal laws even state 1-2 years before you can sign off on dot work

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
I've worked at Peterbilt 6.5yrs, John Deere 5yrs and now at Kenworth in part sales etc. If you need an idea of what to stock etc and what they cost and how to get the best prices feel free to hit me up .

Also can let you know how over the counter parts warranty works etc since that can get tricky.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've worked at Peterbilt 6.5yrs, John Deere 5yrs and now at Kenworth in part sales etc. If you need an idea of what to stock etc and what they cost and how to get the best prices feel free to hit me up .

Also can let you know how over the counter parts warranty works etc since that can get tricky.

Thanks

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
Not that you would need the added work, but if there's any oilfield around your area, learning how to work on hydraulic winch systems on oilfield trucks is a big help...theres several shops around here that stay busy just working on those system and they are always backed up.

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
I worked for a mobile company during college. We mainly did PM work but also light repairs. I took a DMV inspector class so i could adjust slack adjusters. There was ALWAYS work. This was a lumber yard and even during the economy tanking, we stayed busy.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
The computer software is expensive.. nut a must have now with the new emissions engines. I wouldn't stock a ton of stuff just find the parts stores around you that'll cut you a break and let them carry the over head.

Philv

Jan 30, 2018
Surprise, AZ
Just saw this. I'm a ASE master medium/ heavy duty tech and 12 yr veteran truck driver. Any questions just shoot me a pm.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Corbin, you would do just fine, your a smart guy. You don’t need certs either as someone else mentioned, the cream always rises to the top;)

I know the snap on a scan tool that will do Cummins, Detroit/Mercedes, Caterpillar etc is around 25 grand. We are currently getting a couple new ones for the shop.

I currently work on cranes, pickups, bucket trucks, jet boats, snow machines, side by sides, four wheelers, semi trucks, Steelhead and Salmon hauling trailers, Cat dozers, backhoes, line beds, line trailers pretty much anything you can imagine... If I can do it you can too, your a better tech than I am anyway:thumb: call me if you have any questions dude.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Thanks guys. My brain is on overload recently with this and some other things. Can't even think of things to ask.