Anybody running hydraulic assist (such as Redneck Ram)

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Like stated before. Full hydro is not street legal. Hydro assist is legal. Off Unlimited is complete crap and their customer service is shit. I have been running a PSC hydro assist for about 25k now and it is f@ckin awesome. I have not had any problems with it. Turning my 37 mt's is easy at a stop. PSC will also drill and tap your steering box for you. There are other companies out there that make hydro assist but I recommend PSC.

I don't know to be honest if it is illegal. I did a little looking around for shits and pickles and the ONLY state that really says anything is Tenn. They state that you cannot alter the factory steering components and or system. All the others are concerned about the size of the steering wheel! :D

Other little things but that is the just of it. I looked at composite vehicle specs also. There is no cut clear policy that I seen, like say handle bar height, on motorcycles. The only thing mentioned was on some site was IF you were involved in a accident say do to a failure of that component that a attorney might have a field day and your insurance might not cover since you altered the vehicle. Makes sense

I just looked around like I said mostly on Jeep sites some where I post. Some have installed these systems for obvious reasons and have the same concerns. of street legality.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I know for a fact you can't run full hydro here in Ca. I've looked around a lot as well. I'm also a member on Pirate. Even there everyone states that full hydro isn't street legal.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I've been running my ram assist for years now. Mainly to get my big A$$ tires to turn in the parking lot. It does reduce road feel, but only when you put the small shoes back on.

There is very limited room to install the ram on our trucks. Especially if you keep the geometry in line with the center link. The dampener is in almost the perfect location, just need to beef up the mounting points.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Full hydro is banned at the federal level.

The quadra-steer that chevy had a while ago had a specific exemption passed because there was no physical link between the steering wheel and the rear wheel steer which violated the law requiring one.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I just didn't see any concrete evidence stating it was illegal or there was any specifications for it. That is at state levels. So perhaps it's like Fingers says it's a federal banning as I will admit I didn't look for that. That would explain some saying it's illegal .

Nonetheless it isnt recommended even by the manufactures to run on the street with their set up.