Anybody running hydraulic assist (such as Redneck Ram)

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Over the last couple of seasons, I've heard guys having trouble with their steering boxes (blown seals, worn out, etc). I know turning with the locker on in my diesel (or in my welded front axle gasser) on firm ground is an exercise in futility, I can only image what it's like for those that hang several hundred pounds off the front.

This past season on my gasser I added a redneck ram (other companies available as well) and with no hanging weight (locked front and rear) I can turn on asphalt with minimal effort and with hanging weight I can turn fairly easy one handed. I can only imagine it's taking a ton of stress off the box and frame. I've run it down the road and notice very little difference (I use the smallest size ram).

For a dedicated puller, a full hydraulic is the way to go, but for guys who actually run on the street, I'm thinking it would be a good solution. Just wondering if anyone has done it on a 800 series chassis and if so, what was your thoughts?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
My ears must've been ringing Chris, because i literally was just thinking about doing something like this over the winter on my way to work yesterday

RichLMM

Sep 5, 2010
North Kingstown RI
i've though about it myself...i'm just no fabricator or anything just your average monkey with a wrench:D my front end is welded and with 1,000 on he nose its almost impossible to turn...not to mention the pump and gear box leak pretty good from all this...

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
That's so funny cause I had thought about something similar after browsing pirate 4x4 awhile ago and looking thru some build threads ...... I wonder how the truck would feel steering wise "at speed" so to speak. Is it going to be to touchy going 140 mph down the drag strip?

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
That's so funny cause I had thought about something similar after browsing pirate 4x4 awhile ago and looking thru some build threads ...... I wonder how the truck would feel steering wise "at speed" so to speak. Is it going to be to touchy going 140 mph down the drag strip?

I know it's a little apple vs oranges, but I only notice a slight difference on my gasser with a 1.25" piston (if anything it's less touchy as the pump has to move more fluid for the same amount of steering travel). My gasser isn't geared for 140 :roflmao: so there is no way I can test that.

That being said, if someone were to try it, I would say slowly bumping up the speed and feeling the response would be necessary before blasting full speed down the strip :spit:

I know piston size affects steering feel (the pump has to move more fluid as it's moving the rack piston in the box and the assist piston and the bigger the piston the more fluid it needs for the same travel). Guys who run locked axles on 44" boggers in the rocks run a 2" piston for more assist power and say the steering "feels" slower, but that said most guys run a 1.25 or 1.75 piston (and that is just what WTO offers, but other cylinders are available from other sources).

I assume there is a balance of power vs. speed and intended use probably dictates the best size to use. I'm assuming anything is going to be better than stock (and less stress on components). The travel is going to be the same, so once you get the bracketry and lines in place, a simple cylinder swap can be done to "fine tune" it for your needs.

Matt at WestTexasOffroad also stated some "tuning" can be done with the pumps to help put out more volume at low rpms, so there is some customizability.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have seen that in some rules as well.

The funny thing is, I've heard people say it is not DOT approved, but I know Ford ran a similar setup from the factory in the late 70's on a select few models (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/455-stock-ford-hydro-assist-steering.html), and have yet to see proof that it is not "street legal".

hydro-assist is perfectly street legal.

full-hydro is NOT. Full hydro, meaning, like forklift/tractor-style hydrostatic power steering. Where there is no mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front steering tie rods, its just a OSRB or OSPB hydrostatic steering unit connected to the steering wheel, and then hoses run down to a ram, which does 100% of the steering control/work. Most full hydro setups are also non-load-reaction as well....which would be really sketchy and have zero steering feel above 25mph or so.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The big red RC/SB I posted pictures of a couple of weeks ago has hydraulic assist steering.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
hydro-assist is perfectly street legal.

full-hydro is NOT. Full hydro, meaning, like forklift/tractor-style hydrostatic power steering. Where there is no mechanical link between the steering wheel and the front steering tie rods, its just a OSRB or OSPB hydrostatic steering unit connected to the steering wheel, and then hoses run down to a ram, which does 100% of the steering control/work. Most full hydro setups are also non-load-reaction as well....which would be really sketchy and have zero steering feel above 25mph or so.

I knew fully hydro was not legal, but I've heard some say hydraulic assist was not as well. I didn't know if there was any proof of this (or maybe some states yes, some states no, much like lift and muffler laws), or if it was just hearsay.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Just a observation isn't all current steering Hydro Assisted? You either have power steering (99.9 % of all vehicles today have power steering) or not so how would it be illegal to upgrade?

Not even if it was legal would I want full hydro steering the thought of losing line would be scary. Guess it would rank up there with losing a pitman arm ,although rare scary.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I lost a pitman arm. It is scary.

On our farm, we have several tractors that are full hydro steering. Never lost a line yet. Did have one start weeping fluid, but replaced it without incident. This is over some 15 years of hard (ab)use of the steering systems.

Given my personal experience, I would not be concerned about losing a line on full hydro, it appears less likely than breaking a pitman arm. However, full hydro might be a bit twitchy at high speeds.

On topic, ram assist shouldn't make the truck any harder to drive at high speeds, because the amount of assist is still controlled through the steering box. It will reduce bump steer and road feel, both of which are good things, IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I agree debris being kicked up would cut a line otherwise you need to do basic inspection for leaks in a cylinder or fitting. I wonder how it would feel although on the road like say in a crack ,I just wonder as you if it would feel squirly (sp)?

I've only heard of it on lifted trucks or commercial like fork lifts and tractors none that do any real street driving.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
This kit will set you back a grand!! :D

Which really aint bad for a box,pump,lines and the ram.

Attachments

• ROCKRAM- system-large.jpg
    ROCKRAM- system-large.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 62

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Any input on how well is does/doesn't work and if it has been tested on the street or not?

I've never driven it. I would have to ask how well it works. I know it does get driven on the street.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Like stated before. Full hydro is not street legal. Hydro assist is legal. Off Unlimited is complete crap and their customer service is shit. I have been running a PSC hydro assist for about 25k now and it is f@ckin awesome. I have not had any problems with it. Turning my 37 mt's is easy at a stop. PSC will also drill and tap your steering box for you. There are other companies out there that make hydro assist but I recommend PSC.