Question: Any suspension or shock experts out there?

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
Have a straight axles lbz and want to get new shocks. I want it to ride like a 57' caddy. Just glide lol. Can anyone tell me what spring rate would be good, rebound?. And also should I put and emulsion shock beside the coil over? The size are 10" travel thanks guys. Oh an pointers on how to get the rear better too please have 1 ton springs in the rear now.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I'm no shock expert but your going to have to remember with a solid axle you have a lot more unsprung weight, which makes it ride rougher as is.

But with that said I know of a few trucks that ride pretty damn smooth with solid axles all around. However the rears were four linked with air ride.

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
Do you know what kind of air ride I'd like to go that route but also have self levelers on it for when you hook to a trailer

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hate to say it but buy a 57 if you want that ride. Your straight axle is gunna hinder you. You need to have your valving stack lightend up, shouldn't need to mess with spring rate. Changing spring rates isn't gunna make the difference valving can.

For the rear, four link it or get a custom spring pack made but you will loose your ability to tow heavy. Might be able to put custom bags on with the springs to help with towing.

Either way, all this is gunna help but it's not gunna "glide" like a car

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
I wouldn't mind doing 4 link w bags in the rear. Does anyone make a kit like that? And I'm trying to find out how to determine the weight of each corner of my truck w/o getting the police scales

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
Subscribing.

I got lighter spring packs in the rear of my 2500, with zulastic shackles (which do help), but I would like mine to ride better too.

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
I would like to do coilover or nitrogen shocks too but would imagine that would throw out and towing or pulling?

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Are you running Deavers or similar leafs in the rear?
What type of coilovers are you running? Are the single rate or dual?
Are your coilovers valved specifically for your truck, i.e. a duramax?
Your truck is not going to ride like a 57 caddy.

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
Not sure if you were talking to me mack. I don't have coil overs, but do run the full Cognito kit with upper control arms (supposedly providing 2" of additional suspension), and I also have Atlas springs in the rear which I believe are similar to Deavers. My truck does not ride like a 57 caddy (and i wouldn't really want it to), but the back suspension in particular could be softened up considerably on my truck to make the ride nicer.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Was asking the OP. Rear suspension improvements can definitely help ride. I'm running Deavers in the rear and my coilovers are tuned specifically for my truck. They are a single spring rate shock. My truck rides nice even with 37 m/t's. Thinking of running a set of long travel bags in the rear to help with expansion joint bounce.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Get rid of those atlas springs. ive never seen their springs be comparable to deavers. both on and off road

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
I have kings in the front and yes they are set up for a Duramax and they are dual rate coilovers. I'd really like to have a long travel air bag kit in the rear that way I can tow whatever and it ride good also would like to have the self leveling kit with it. You guys h e something like this?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'd really like to have a long travel air bag kit in the rear that way I can tow whatever and it ride good also would like to have the self leveling kit with it. You guys h e something like this?

lol ive been thinking about something like that for a long while now. problem is finding a 18" travel bag that can hold 10k (overkill but would rather it be that way), then deciding on how i want to run my setup and either go 4 link or run a mono leaf. i just dont like relying on air for my suspension though. thats my biggest thing

smarquis

Triple Turbo LBZ
Jul 15, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada.
I wouldn't worry about relying on the air for your suspension. I've beat up on mine for quite some time with no issues. The bags are amazingly tough, and even if you get a small leak you should have the on-board compressor to fill it back up. Plus the ability to air a tire, or use air tools kicks butt too.

That said, I can't say I have ever seen an 18" bag. How high is your truck and what size tires are you running? 18" of travel would be sick.

Shieldsinc

On a Time Out
Apr 24, 2012
Been looking into the Firestone R4 tech kit. They just came out w the 4" and 6" brackets for lifted trucks. Really like to have a long travel parrellel 4 link set up w bags but for $2200 you can't beat it and it is completely bolt on.