Anti freeze in exhaust

deer hunter

Feb 9, 2014
:(Lokking for help I have a 2002 Chevy silverado with duramax engine Anti freeze is going into the exhaust and clears up when warm, Does not smoke while driving need help!!!

deer hunter

Feb 9, 2014
When i Drive my coolant lite will come on after about 20 minutes and when i park go shopping and restart my truck it blows white smoke smells sweet like anti freeze told it might be egr cooler but dealer ran vin number and shows it does not have egr cooler egr valve yes i know if it was a head gasket i would smoke and over heat looking for the easiest fix please help:spit::confused:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So it is using coolant? As in the light comes on and stays on until you add more?

If you are using coolant, and it is going into the exhaust, there are only 2 main ways it can happen.

#1 the EGR cooler. If you don't have EGR, then this isn't it. You can look and see if you have the cooler. It will be a silver tube toward the passenger side of the engine near the turbo. About the size of two soda cans stacked on top of each other, but laying down.

#2 is a headgasket. Headgasket failures don't necessarily cause overheating or smoke. If coolant is getting into the exhaust, then there is a good chance exhaust is getting into the coolant. You can buy a kit that will "sniff" the coolant and tell you if exhaust is getting in. If so, then it is almost certainly time for a headgasket.

Edit: picture of EGR cooler

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Pull your glow plugs out and let it sit over night. Unplug the wires that go to your injectors so it won't start. Then have a couple people help you and have someone crank it over while you watch to see if antifreeze squirts out of one of the cylinders. You might have an injector cup leaking allowing antifreeze to leak into one of the cylinders.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

TheEdge

Feb 16, 2015
B'ham, Alabama
I dont think the LB7 has an EGR cooler does it? My guess is a small head gasket issue that will only get worse. I have several trucks in the fleet that we used Blue Devil on as more of a quick fix on old Ford gas burners. Worked great but the instructions are crap. Some guys on YouTube had much more complicated but very worthy instructions. Don't know how it would work on a diesel. Should go get it tested at a shop.

ty_LBZ

Camaro killa
Dec 6, 2014
Farmington, NM
Get a radiator tester, pump it up to about 13psi, see if it bleeds off, pull the glow plugs as stated above, and turn over the engine