am I the only person...????

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
:thumb: Good find Nick! Last year they had a R-4350 form a B-29 (same engine as September Fury just stock) for ground running, completly unrestored with no exhaust collector rings, just open exhaust stub stacks, OMG that was cool to see and hear!

Sorry Im whoring up your thread Ben:rofl: You touched on somthing im very passionate about:thumb:

You guys know they had Direct Injection back then? B-29's were direct injected into the cylinders. Early on they had a bad rap for overheating and the exhaust valves separating:eek:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
no no! Radial engines are about equal as far as sound IMO.

Yep, many of the big radials had mechanical fuel injection, similar to small aircraft today. (almost all piston-engine small aircraft fuel injection is still mechanical; no ECM) They also had manual controls of the superchargers etc...

The very last of the radials were pretty cool in that they had a "power recovery turbine" or "turbo compound" feature, where there was a turbine driven by the exhaust gasses (like a turbocharger) except the shaft of the turbine was actually connected (via a gear reduction box obviously) to the crankshaft of the engine adding to the power output of the engine and "recovering" a couple hundred shaft hp from the exhaust gasses...

my grandpa was a B-24 pilot in world war II, I think those had pratt R1830's?? Ill have to doublecheck

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
:thumb: Good find Nick! Last year they had a R-4350 form a B-29 (same engine as September Fury just stock) for ground running, completly unrestored with no exhaust collector rings, just open exhaust stub stacks, OMG that was cool to see and hear

IIRC almost all of the wartime B-29's had wright R-3350's.

The R-4350's only appeared in a very few of the last B-29's, and then of course in the later B-50 which was an enlarged B-29...

ben

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
no no! Radial engines are about equal as far as sound IMO.

Yep, many of the big radials had mechanical fuel injection, similar to small aircraft today. (almost all piston-engine small aircraft fuel injection is still mechanical; no ECM) They also had manual controls of the superchargers etc...

The very last of the radials were pretty cool in that they had a "power recovery turbine" or "turbo compound" feature, where there was a turbine driven by the exhaust gasses (like a turbocharger) except the shaft of the turbine was actually connected (via a gear reduction box obviously) to the crankshaft of the engine adding to the power output of the engine and "recovering" a couple hundred shaft hp from the exhaust gasses...

my grandpa was a B-24 pilot in world war II, I think those had pratt R1830's?? Ill have to doublecheck

ben

Ya lots had mechanical inj, but not so much direct! Those engines had 2 huge injection pumps on the backside. Sometimes the superchargers in radials are refered to as Distribution fans, but effectivly were superchargers. The turbo compounds are kinda cool, and a bit odd:spit: surprising how much power they added. Ive read the A&P guys called them "Parts recovery turbines" and such:rofl:

Heres a wonderful turbo-compound fireshow!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5pMHZaMFw9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5pMHZaMFw9c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
The B-29's did have 3350's. The rear row of cylinder heads were prone to overheating from lack of air flow.

Just like the Constellations had 3350's and those were prone to dying at random. Some called the Connies the fastest 3 engined airliner of its day...:D

The B-24 did have 1830's, but with several different variants. They played with turbos, superchargers and eventually turbo-superchargers. Those engines made 1200 h.p.

the B-29's 3350's were rated at 2200 H.P.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Thats right! LOL I had my numbers all crossed up:rofl: Thanks for point'in that out guys!:thumb: The 3350 is the one!

Here ya go Ben, this is one bad mutha! The Oracle Turbo Raven! To bad it no longer exists:(
Some one should kit these! Another personal fave! Turbine Toucan is cool too!

Attachments

• turbo raven.jpg
    turbo raven.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Google:
210turboprop.jpg

Cessna Silver Eagle P210.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Wow. I just went onto the Cessna site.

What looks like the old 172 is $300,000 now, with a wet cost of ~$100/hr and a ~140mph top speed. A "150" is about $112k now.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Google:
210turboprop.jpg

Cessna Silver Eagle P210.

no pat thats not a factory-made stock airplane. Cessna only made the 210's (and Pressurized 210's) with continental piston engines. That picture you posted is someone/aftermarket company who took a 210 and removed the continetal piston engine in place of a turboprop.

the one you are thinking of is the cessna caravan. ;)

ben

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I've only flown a 150 and 172, so EVERYTHING with a high wing looks the same to me. :D

I saw one of those "long nose" turbo props years ago at Corona airport, and it looked factory. Good conversion.