am I the only person...????

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
who can sit on youtube for an hour or more and listen to sounds of turboprops [airplane engines] starting up/running???

Probably one of the coolest things you will ever experience, seeing one of those start up. The roar/rumble of a nice big propeller with the shriek/whine of a jet turbine in the background is badass. :D

jets sound cool, flat piston engines sound lame, radial engines sound awesome, but still...I think a turboprop is the coolest.

I love how the props sloowwwllyy spin up too, not just a clunky jerk into life like piston engines. The "clicking" sound is the ignitors, basically like huge ass spark plugs, but they are shut off once the engine is started, you can hear right when the engine lights, its the "POOF!!" rumble noise that comes in about 10-15 seconds after the prop/turbines start spooling up...turbine engines are a lot like diesels...feed them fuel and they will run in a completely self sustaining fashion.....yes they can runaway too!! :eek:

makes me want to go out to my shop and fire up the jet engine I built, just for the sound.

[YOUTUBE]IBCxy56bstQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]1bDEu3d7nTA[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]Qstkil0aXvk[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]3vhK_6Fm3Ks[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]QoRgq7h8c1o[/YOUTUBE]

then of course when it comes to turboprop sounds...you have to choose which sound you like better... a free-turbine turboprop (like the pratt PT6, walter M601, etc) or a fixed-shaft turboprop (garrett, allison, rolls royce)...

ive co-piloted a twin turboprop once before, man it was awesome...
one kinda like this;
[YOUTUBE]9L-Jy3YJb9A[/YOUTUBE]
(the alarms and stuff on startup are for the asymmetric thrust warning/GPWS initialization)

Im determined to own one some day... Not a twin, but a nice 6/7 seat single like a Piper "JetProp"...basically a piper malibu mirage (piper's top of the line big fancy single piston engine plane) that this company takes and swaps in a pratt&whitney PT6 in place of the piston engine. You can pick them up pretty cheap too, and they are cheaper to operate/maintain than a piston engine. :cool:

oh, and turboprops will run great on diesel too!

ben

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
:thumb: Im the same way buddie! I love watchin and listening! Gives me goosebumps!:rofl:

Meh, flat engines dont do much for me either. Radials and other odd or vintage aircraft engines, heck ya! Love old smokey, chokey old radials! Inertia starters are awsome! Likewise so are air starters(on anything). Turbojets, turbofans, alot of that stuff too! A noisy, smokey old JT3D(TF-33) is one of my fave sounds! The TF-39's on the old C-5's is awsome too!

My obsession with that stuff dosnt stop at planes, anything, big diesels, Detroits, trains, etc.
But aircraft tops the list:thumb:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3sHTVBRSDA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3sHTVBRSDA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Love the thump/resonance of a turbine, cool hearing the ignitors clicking away! Id love to have a Cessna Caravan or a Pilatus! The most fun IMO for a single turboprop plane..... T-6A Texan II or a Harvard II, There based of a PC-9 iirc but those would be fun! I wouldnt pass up a T-34C either!

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
PC-9 would be sweet!!!! 3 tube EFIS cockpit (well, old school 'cathode ray tube' EFIS, none of this new LCD flat panel display stuff), ridiculously fast, big PT6, and I think they have had ejection seats too. Ive only seen one for 'private' sale though, the military owns all the others im pretty sure.

ben

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the "Legend" kit plane is sweet too...

most have a walter/PT6 clone turbprop but this one has a 1000shp tpe331 :eek:

[YOUTUBE]9SmLdAWEDmY[/YOUTUBE]

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
PC-9 would be sweet!!!! 3 tube EFIS cockpit (well, old school 'cathode ray tube' EFIS, none of this new LCD flat panel display stuff), ridiculously fast, big PT6, and I think they have had ejection seats too. Ive only seen one for 'private' sale though, the military owns all the others im pretty sure.

ben

Ya! Im guessing it would be mighty hard to get a Texan II, there all JPATS trainers. I see them here in the summer all the time in flight testing. Since Beechcraft, Cessna, Boeing, etc are here in Wichita. Lots of airpower here! These things have some balls! They do touch'n'go's and open them up and go vertical after! There hot rods! They have ejection seats. A turbine Tucano may be more feasble? They are pretty sweet too!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
[YOUTUBE]I7gGFjQjXqA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]VKluP8jojSw[/YOUTUBE]

I want one!

I love the basshunter sound track HAHA :D

Last edited:

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Your Normal Ben !

Engines are music to our ears.

Ive been spending hours on Youtube listening to GEN III cams, And front mount turbos. Gawd I love that whistle, its addicting!!!

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I love that sound too, worked on a few when i went to a&p school, it really a shame that the aircraft industry went down hill, i really would love to work on planes everyday. I got to taxi a few cessnas, i always say im gonna get my pilots license once day. But who knows.

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
I like turbo props...

I just love the sound of the V12's and big, throaty radials. Those things breathe fire...

Especially the modified ones...

This one is friggen bad ass. Special attention to 1:13 fly by and the disgusting throatiness starting up as he cranks the throttle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vniz3zXf4g

And for V12's, these P-40's Allisons did sound sweet. Turn your speakers up for this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1cKPUWHa8I

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Very good call Nick:thumb: Love Reno Unlimiteds! I really hope to go some day! You know there bad piston engines when they are faster than the jet class! Some of those birds are well past 500mph planes! Just ever so slightly sad pretty much all the Sea Furys at Reno are re-engined. Most R-4350's. Long gone are the Centaurus sleeve valve radials. Dreadnought has a R-4360 Wasp Major though:thumb: Strega, Dago Red, September Fury, Rare Bear, Steadfast, and many more, such beautiful planes! Any you guys seen/heard of a Thunder Mustang, pretty cool replica, 600hp Falconer V-12's in them!

I like this! Good Spot!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dsWqHsLlIT4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dsWqHsLlIT4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Love the sound of the props rippin the air too!

Who dosnt love the roaring crackle of a jet at full afterburner! The Viggen is the largest engined-single engine fighter ever, very very loud i guess:D:thumb:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/11-osaKapEI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/11-osaKapEI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I love the howl of a jet as well.

My personal favorite single engine jet is the Starfighter: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1502299/f_104_starfighters_at_andrews_afb_2008/

If I understand it right, there are several in private ownership, and spares are available because they were sold in so many countries. Probably the fastest plane you could purchase? While the fuel bill would scary, and you'd have pack the chute after every flight, it is one serious "antique". In the late 50's they were going over 1,400mph and over 100,000' altitude in record runs. Makes you wonder how fast you could get one moving ...

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
Ben, I can see where you are coming from but after listening to those damn things about every other day for the last 10 years I want to shoot myself.

Nothing, and I mean nothing on this earth is more annoying than sitting next to a DASH-8 or a Saab running. I hear them in my sleep! A Saab will never sneak up on a jet, you can hear those damn things over the sound of any civilian jet in service.

Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah, wah. :suicide:

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I still think it would interesting to put an APU in the bed of a pickup. It will run off diesel, and supply the boosted air as well as electricity and pump water and oil. The engine would only be in charge of supplying drive power, and would run much cooler.

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
If you like turbine engines you might like the modified turbine tractors...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNN-6At-7XY

They put on a good show. There are also Allison aircraft engines, multiple alcohol blown engines. There is also a fairly new tractor that has two dt466's on alcohol that is pretty cool.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I still think it would interesting to put an APU in the bed of a pickup. It will run off diesel, and supply the boosted air as well as electricity and pump water and oil. The engine would only be in charge of supplying drive power, and would run much cooler.

Theres a hillclimb car across the pond that a guy built that has an APU in it with the exhaust feeding/powering a large turbocharger, so on-off-on throttle theres always full boost right there:eek: Its stupid fast!:thumb:

X2 on the F-104, one sharp lookin jet! Good ole smokey J-79 iirc. Good to have dedicated folks keeping these babys in the air. Theres a company in Canada, S&S turbines, they rebuild a number of J-79's and post on youtube. Very cool to see running full AB on a dyno cell:thumb: