LB7: Alternator needed?

kjp800

-
Aug 6, 2008
New Jersey
Heard mixed opinions on if an alternator is needed to run the truck or not, looking for opinions on it. This is on a puller only, not a street truck. Just want to be sure there is enough to run the electronics during the pull and in the pits.

Would be nice to get rid of it since its the only belt driven accessory and would free up a lot of space.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Heard mixed opinions on if an alternator is needed to run the truck or not, looking for opinions on it. This is on a puller only, not a street truck. Just want to be sure there is enough to run the electronics during the pull and in the pits.

Would be nice to get rid of it since its the only belt driven accessory and would free up a lot of space.

Nope, I drove my truck about 10-14 miles with no serpentine belt. Mostly highway so the brakes and steering wasn't much of an issue. Had 2 healthy batteries in it at the time.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
No experience but i would think you would need at least 3 or 4 batteries to make 1 run. Then they would need charged for next run.

If you have 2 decent, charged batteries it will run for 20-30 min minimum before they die out.