Alternative vehicles to own other than a Silverado

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
I have had a few of them with odd electrical issues related to negative battery cables, very common just replaced one last week on another one.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
It was doing some pretty crazy weird things. It all started with the radio and climate controls randomly shutting down. And turning back on..

Then it was about every other day when you got it it would flash on the dic open and close drivers window. When you did it reset all the fuel mileage data in the dash.

Then it went to sometimes not starting at all and being completely dead. That's how I found it when I opened the hood and wiggled the negative cable it would move in the battery cable lug.. so easy fix just crimped the end tighter. Been over a month and haven't had any issues.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Depends on how lifted Lift it high enough and you could stuff a Cat under the hood.

I'd think most of the smaller diesels from cars would fit. Not sure you'd get a full size I6 or V8 in there without doing what I jokingly suggested, and hanging the engine down below the front suspension. Though I guess that precludes 4x4, if you care about that.

I owned a gas 2013 Cruze with a tune my brother and I wrote, and drove a stock Cruze diesel. As stock, that diesel was a turd. The gas 1.4 would smoke it consistently, and held gears just as well on hills. My Pontiac is supercharged, and it has low end torque for days, makes the Cruze look all kinds of stupid. Or it would, if the transmission programming wasn't garbage and HP Tuners wasn't garbage. Sometimes the transmission just freaks out and does what it wants. But yeah, going supercharged means a mileage hit. Don't regret selling the Cruze for a second though, the Pontiac is way more fun and dirt cheap to own.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Ive seen a guy around me with a basically stock looking 90’s ranger that has a 4bt in it turned up a bit.
So that might work in the s-10

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I used to travel back and forth to work in one of those rangers when I was in Russia. Had a 2.5l mechanically injected diesel. Not big on hp or tq but fairly reliable. Built somewhere in Europe.

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I am having some issues with my LB7 and I've been wanting to get another vehicle anyways so I decided to buy something while I work on the Duramax.

After much deliberation, I actively sought an old person car...

picture.php

picture.php

...so I bought this. 2008 Lincoln MKZ AWD. It has so many luxuries I didn't have with my truck, sunroof, air conditioned seats, memory seats and mirrors, navigation, back up alarm, bluetooth, the list goes on. 127k miles and I got it for $3,000. Not a bad deal if I say so myself.

Anyone owned one of these? Opinions? So far I love it.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Wow, I paid $2000 for my 1998 Pontiac, which has way less features. Pretty loaded for a 90s car (heated seats, HUD, dual zone digital climate control, etc.) but for that extra $1000 you get a whole lot more. I'm going to have to keep that in mind when the Pontiac dies. Even if it is a Ford

1thackattack

Diesel enthusiast
Apr 7, 2017
Wow, I paid $2000 for my 1998 Pontiac, which has way less features. Pretty loaded for a 90s car (heated seats, HUD, dual zone digital climate control, etc.) but for that extra $1000 you get a whole lot more. I'm going to have to keep that in mind when the Pontiac dies. Even if it is a Ford

Your 1998 Pontiac has a heads up display, and I dont have one in my 70k truck, nice.

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I am not normally a Ford lover but it's often because of the looks, not the engine. I think F150s look lame and sad. A good thing though is that parts are cheap and accessible.

I took this car in to have the A/C looked at because that was one thing I knew I was going to need fixed. A/C guys said it needed a $20 part, the evac temp sensor behind the DASH! $700 in labor!

I told them to hold off and I went and picked up the car, did some YouTubing and found an easy harness pigtail fix and voila, $24.99 was the bill. :woott:

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
sold my black volt and picked up this 2016 Cadi ELR w/ the perf. package.wanted to drive something I wouldn't see to many of,plus be kinda fun to drive.great daily driver.

Attachments

• elr2.jpg
    elr2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20
  • elr3.jpg
    elr3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 29

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
sold my black volt and picked up this 2016 Cadi ELR w/ the perf. package.wanted to drive something I wouldn't see to many of,plus be kinda fun to drive.great daily driver.

I'm a recent Cadi fan. I bet it's loaded with options.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I like my '16 GMC Sierra short bed 4X4 with the 6.2. Waiting on the '20 Duramax. 9 speed Allison, probably a hybrid.

SierraBear

Jun 28, 2018
Had one for 120k miles, loved it. Especially those AC seats living on the gulf coast!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SierraBear

Jun 28, 2018
I am having some issues with my LB7 and I've been wanting to get another vehicle anyways so I decided to buy something while I work on the Duramax.

After much deliberation, I actively sought an old person car...

picture.php

picture.php

...so I bought this. 2008 Lincoln MKZ AWD. It has so many luxuries I didn't have with my truck, sunroof, air conditioned seats, memory seats and mirrors, navigation, back up alarm, bluetooth, the list goes on. 127k miles and I got it for $3,000. Not a bad deal if I say so myself.

Anyone owned one of these? Opinions? So far I love it.
Had one for 120k miles, loved it. Especially those AC seats living on the gulf coast!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk