Alternative vehicles to own other than a Silverado

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
What would it be like to drive down the road in something other than your Duramax?

Sitting low to the ground feeling like your buns are dragging across the asphalt, lacking power when you need it or thinking of the spark plugs that are firing off under your hood... these thoughts may have never crossed your mind until now.

Well what if Silverados weren't around and you HAD to pick something else to drive, what would it be?

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
My top realistic car to own would be an Audi A7 (diesel) white with black wheels...
picture.php

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I've always loved the Chevy S-10 extended cab. I owned one for about 5 years before my Silverado.

picture.php

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
i hate driving a big stupid truck when I don’t have to. So on the rare occasion that I am not towing or hauling anything I drive a 1999 Accord. I built the motor, bored, balanced, decked head, ported, cam, etc. and it’s a 5 speed manual. It is so much fun, especially since it’s not much to look at with the clear coat peeling off and a couple glimpses of rust here and there. I drive it every chance I can and I love it, so much nicer than driving a giant truck. I cannot comprehend why anybody would choose to drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck if they don’t need to. And when I need to haul a small load I drive my Tahoe, which is also nice to take camping or load up for a weekend out of town with friends and family.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Ooh what a nightmare driving anything but the Duramax ....

My company truck its a 2018 F150 Echo boost Company lets me drive it anywhere I want to they also supply me with a fuel card

When we're not driving that it's a Jeep Commander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you don't like driving your Duramax, something has gone terribly wrong. Sure, if one is in poor shape and the steering is sloppy and stiff (it can be both!) and the brakes are weak and the tune is crap, it can suck. But all of those can be fixed. Most of those are safety hazards that should be fixed ASAP!

And maybe the 2008+ suck in some new and exciting way vs. the older ones, but if the truck is setup right, they are a blast to drive.

But, paying for the fuel is not so much a blast. So when I don't have a load to haul or a performance itch to scratch, I drive my car, a $2,000 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with the supercharged 3800. Gets 2x the mileage of my truck (which is actually still kind of bad, until you consider I am driving it like a tool). And the supercharger means 0 turbo lag. Frying the tires is just a twitch of the foot and a heartbeat away! Plus it still has the basic features I like (heated seats, digital dual-zone automatic climate control) and even has a heads-up display, which is neat.

If I could drive whatever I wanted without having to pay for it, an Audi S4 would be sweet. Or a Pontiac G8 GXP with the manual. Always wanted one, still can't afford one.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
There would be no other choice except maybe another diesel powered truck. I've been daily driving a 2004 tahoe since I sold my lbz and it blows. No power, constantly downshifting, can't pass anyone, shit fuel mileage, no bed to haul with and did I mention no power? About to sell the suburban and tahoe and get rclb lbz.

Rant over

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If there where no Silverados, well I would drive a Sierra :D

I think my other vehicle would be a Ram ecodiesel or a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost

If not a truck, it would be what I already have. A VW Jetta TDI. Mines got larger injectors, turbo, cam and a tune. Makes it a blast to drive but it still doesn't compare to my Duramax

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
bf57bb6db4a8c6bee7b2a531069fdfdc.jpg

I would go back to driving my 93 Toyota pickup 2wd. Custom susp 20” front 24” linked rear (built 9). Fully built motor. Caged front to rear. Power nothing 5spd manual. Loved that truck. the stories i have w/from it are the best. If that damn thing could talk id have the biggest grin on my face and some serious explaining to do!

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL

I think my other vehicle would be a Ram ecodiesel or a Ford 3.5 Ecoboost

If not a truck, it would be what I already have. A VW Jetta TDI. Mines got larger injectors, turbo, cam and a tune. Makes it a blast to drive but it still doesn't compare to my Duramax
I might have to pick your brain on that tdi. I recently bought a 99 bug with the tdi I plan to transplant into my 95 Tacoma. But leaving it stock with 100hp would be boring.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I’m a truck/suv guy so any will due. I just don’t like little cars. Only car I owned was an 86 Cutlass Supreme with 383 stroker.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Built single cab with blower for DD, Stingray for twisties, E350 or 1969 MGB GT MKII for family around town duty. LML gets the nod for pulling boats or out of town trips. Needless to say my insurance guy loves me... Haha

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I daily drive a 1996 Toyota Corolla. I only drive a Duramax when I need it, on vacations/trips, or when I want to.

If I didn't have a Duramax, I'd have a CTS-V sedan. I've been looking for a white stick car for a while.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
CTS-V wagon, another challenger, the list goes on for me. But a duramax will always take the cherry.

On a side note since right now I’m pretty much without a vehicle I’m driving my nanas 2015 Kia Sportage and guys no homo but this car is flipping awesome. Zippy as hell. Roomy. And gets 26mpg.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
i hate driving a big stupid truck when I don’t have to. So on the rare occasion that I am not towing or hauling anything I drive a 1999 Accord. I built the motor, bored, balanced, decked head, ported, cam, etc. and it’s a 5 speed manual. It is so much fun, especially since it’s not much to look at with the clear coat peeling off and a couple glimpses of rust here and there. I drive it every chance I can and I love it, so much nicer than driving a giant truck. I cannot comprehend why anybody would choose to drive a 3/4 or 1 ton truck if they don’t need to. And when I need to haul a small load I drive my Tahoe, which is also nice to take camping or load up for a weekend out of town with friends and family.

You belong on the rice burner forum

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I thought that same thing when I read this earlier today. :roflmao:

Id drive the Cruze I have, or maybe bought a BMW 335d....but whatever it would be, it would still be something diesel.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I thought that same thing when I read this earlier today. :roflmao:

Id drive the Cruze I have, or maybe bought a BMW 335d....but whatever it would be, it would still be something diesel.

2x on the cruze diesel. I almost got one before I found my TDI. I don't know if I could get into anything gas because I can't stand the [or lack of] torque curve unless it had a supercharger but it would still never get the mpg I have now

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
You belong on the rice burner forum

Ha!

Trust me, I ain’t no ricer. I originally built the Accord for the wife and she loved it. But with this Accord looking a little rough I got her a new/used low mileage Accord also with a 5 speed and I took the built one over.

I regularly have thousands of pounds in the bed, haul firewood, pull trees out of the woods, tow 10k-25k pounds, tow doubles with my gooseneck and Enclosed, make runs out to the west coast hauling loads, and so much more. I’ve had several new Duramax trucks and my current one is still nice and tight with 90 some thousand on it so I’m not driving a pile around. I use the crap out of my trucks and I beat the piss out of them. But if I don’t need to do any of the aforementioned things, I would much rather be in a built little car rowing through the gears and tossing it into corners while getting 30 MPG. Yes I would prefer RWD, but this little Accord weighs under 3,000 pounds, is a blast to drive, and I own it, so I rock it.

Tylerrc34

Jun 11, 2018
I like driving my truck for a few reasons, first I want to be able to haul large items around. Surely no one else is going to drive my new refrigerator home FOR me, I can handle that myself thanks. Also I live in Florida (highest vehicle insurance rates for a reason) and I don't want to end up under some Mac Truck tire in a Camry, I want the protection of a larger vehicle. And lastly I want to be able to sleep in my vehicle, and not scrunched up in the front seat laying across seat belt buckles, I want to stretch out in the bed and get a good nights rest. I don't do much truck bed sleeping anymore but it's nice to know I could :)