Allison limp... virgin

Rootwalker

Jun 2, 2016
Limped the ally last week or so. First time. Was on the 90 hp efi tune. I leave it on that for the best mpg's. Getting on interstate, and she downshifted, too much pressure on the skinny one I guess. Pulled over, killed it, restarted and away I went. Cel stayed on for 5-6 key cycles. She runs perfectly and was never abused before I got her at 112k. I've added 4" no cat exhaust, efi live with switch. 30-60-90-120-150. I drive very conservatively, and have no plans on racing her. She's at 125k now. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death, I'm just looking for some reassurance..... limping is never good, and I don't plan on tearing up the streets. So how bad was my mess up? And can I do anything to help it or prevent it from happening again. Staying off the skinny one is obvious.
Thanks from a noob.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
If its the old 5 speed 90hp will kill a "new" stock no mileage trans. Turn it down to keep her alive. The c3 clutches have now been glazed! Either install mikes springs and trans go or get a kit.

Rootwalker

Jun 2, 2016
Sorry, it's a 07 classic, crew 4x4, 6 speed. 245's all the way around, they came with truck, so I'm gonna run them for now.... air box mod and egr delete with finger done also.

Last edited:

Rootwalker

Jun 2, 2016
The previous owner was very good at servicing the truck. The car fax showed most of this. And the dealer I purchased it from was where the truck was bought. Fluid is pink pretty, but I've yet to change the spin on.

Rootwalker

Jun 2, 2016
Not yet, gonna do when I get off work, the shop that installed the EFI will do it for me. I'll post codes this week.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I had a member on this site script my DSP5 tune, I emailed him back and wanted more horsetorque. The reply, for the Allison to live a long life 90hp is good if I'm careful. I have felt either the converter or some clutches chatter after I installed the tune and a Transgo so anymore if I wanna play I better have about $4500.00 play money in the bank.

With that said I rarely if ever go WOT, 3/4 throttle is enough. I'm careful of the 4-5 and 5-6 upshifts and the same goes for throttle 6-5, 5-4 and never 6-4 smash the throttle downshifting. As a rule I drive in T/H manual mode and while in town lock it in 4th and reserve 5-6 for highway. I have been driving in T/H mode since I bought the truck in 2013 as I dislike the shift schedule in drive, too mushy.

When driving in town in T/H manual mode locked in 4th cruising about 40-45 mph with the turbo spooled already and roll into the throttle (not smash) 80 mph comes up pretty quick and has surprised some guys on what they thought were fast cars or trucks....:thumb:

The particular action above at 20 mph over the speed limit can get me some new temporary bling bracelets, a chauffeured ride downtown, an unscheduled appointment before "Your Honor", extra expensive towed valet parking and stiffer insurance rates for the next 3 years so I'm less inclined to speed, period..

1.stock with emissions deletes

2.econ with rumble idle

3.performance

4.tow

5.heavy tow with turbo brake

Last edited:

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
If you don't want to build, you can reset the limp and make sure the transmission has a good fluid/filter always. I have not limped mine yet but it's come close. I get quite a bit of TC chatter when locked on the highway. I have the same tunes as you or thereabouts and I now run only the 1st tune setting until I get it built. FYI the stock tune is no slouch and still sounds like a leerjet going down the road. My initial reasoning for the tunes was to ditch the nanny state epa crap anyways.

Even though $5k is a major chunk of change for me, the build will let me actually relax when driving, passing, towing and racing and that will be worth it. Maybe you should also keep it in mind for the future. Plus, driving one of the more rugged vehicles on the road isn't exactly synonymous with babying the truck around. If I have the power I want to use it!

I have spoken to quite a few people who would recommend a built transmission as the first supporting mod, as it is the major bottleneck with the dmax platform. Bottleneck in regards to increased power.

There are a few things you can do for short money like a transgo, deep pan, new cooler etc. But all that is money that is helping you to manage, rather than fix the weak link.

If you don't want to do the tranny, run the small tune. If you want the power, start saving. Same boat im in

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
My LLY limped twice on the 90 tune so I drove it easy and manually shifted 5-4 and 4-5 shifts until I saved up some pennies. Pulled our 5th wheel 1,000 miles down to Anaheim with no problems, dropped truck off at Inglewood Trans and got a happy truck back the next day, including a new downpipe, xfer case rub fix and a trans I don't have to manually downshift. And Momma got a new pair of mouse ears too. Expensive trip......

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My LLY limped twice on the 90 tune so I drove it easy and manually shifted 5-4 and 4-5 shifts until I saved up some pennies. Pulled our 5th wheel 1,000 miles down to Anaheim with no problems, dropped truck off at Inglewood Trans and got a happy truck back the next day, including a new downpipe, xfer case rub fix and a trans I don't have to manually downshift. And Momma got a new pair of mouse ears too. Expensive trip......

That's how my first trip to mikes went as well, minus the towing a trailer down. Been back and forth there a few times now between my truck needing refreshes or bringing trucks to him and the wife has now made it apparent she will be going with next time and we are going to Disneyland again lol. Maybe I can drag mike down there with my little one even though he's said time and time again his ass ain't going lmao :D

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
That's how my first trip to mikes went as well, minus the towing a trailer down. Been back and forth there a few times now between my truck needing refreshes or bringing trucks to him and the wife has now made it apparent she will be going with next time and we are going to Disneyland again lol. Maybe I can drag mike down there with my little one even though he's said time and time again his ass ain't going lmao :D

:booty: