Question: Alaska People ?

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
OK question for you Alaska People?

We are going on a cruise to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan & Victoria, BC, Canada.

Is there anywhere we should see or avoid? I saw a couple of tours for Helicopters and float planes.

I know I'm going to have to pack thermal underwear the is a reason I live in So Cal. I hate cold :baby:

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
OK question for you Alaska People?

We are going on a cruise to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan & Victoria, BC, Canada.

Is there anywhere we should see or avoid? I saw a couple of tours for Helicopters and float planes.

I know I'm going to have to pack thermal underwear the is a reason I live in So Cal. I hate cold :baby:

When are you planning on going? Is it the Inside Passage cruise by chance? I think all of those places should be fun and interesting. I would definitely say see Mendenhall Glacier when you are in Juneau and do the infotainment presentations the cruises offer they are very educational and neat if you are unfamiliar with the state and its wildlife/history. Have fun!

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I hate it when kids post silly things.:roflmao::hug::D
Love ya Kat.

Love you too Mike :hug:

When are you planning on going? Is it the Inside Passage cruise by chance? I think all of those places should be fun and interesting. I would definitely say see Mendenhall Glacier when you are in Juneau and do the infotainment presentations the cruises offer they are very educational and neat if you are unfamiliar with the state and its wildlife/history. Have fun!

We are going in July. We have just a short window of time when the kids are out of school. I don't think it's the inside passage. It's hard to plan things to keep everyone happy. The kids would like just to stay on the ship.

Sun Seattle (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm
Mon At Sea --- ---
Tue Juneau 2:00 pm 10:00 pm
Wed Skagway 7:00 am 8:15 pm
Thu Glacier Bay --- ---
Fri Ketchikan 6:00 am 1:30 pm
Sat Victoria, BC, Canada 6:00 pm 11:59 pm
Sun Seattle (DISEMBARK)

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Okay that's a good time of year. Alaska is a beautiful and amazing place that time of year. That's the first time I took her up there and she loved it. We are from a town near Anchorage but I've lived in the Juneau/Ketchikan area and it's pretty. Heck I may even have her okay with the idea of moving back home :)

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
nothing to add but hope you have a great time. want to check out Alaska,was a dream of my dads he never got to do.

UPnGONe

Jul 23, 2008
The shore
Our family went last year for my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary in July to those same ports had a blast. The towns are neat, we did a whale watching tour it wasn't the best but we did see a lot. One of the best things we did was a excursion on one of retired crab fishing boats its was a really neat experience book it early it will fill up quick.
One thing I wish I would have done is took the railroad one its a 3-4 ride on a old train and my grandparents went it they said it was really neat. Bugs weren't bad but they can be depending on weather.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Thanks everyone :hug:

I think I'm going to book the helicopter/dog sled, and the train. Need to check out the boats.

Joemackey

Jun 16, 2013
Kodiak Alaska
Alaska in July is surprisingly not that cold. You could see 90 degrees on that trip. But I would definately pack rain and bug gear. Any chance you have at seeing a glacier or fish take it. The winters up here are what we deal with looking forward to our short summer.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I'm not from Alaska. But have been to Vancouver and Victoria BC. Both place are nice and had good times there. :thumb:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Alaska in July is surprisingly not that cold. You could see 90 degrees on that trip. But I would definately pack rain and bug gear. Any chance you have at seeing a glacier or fish take it. The winters up here are what we deal with looking forward to our short summer.

X2.
I have worked up there a fair bit. Pack your umbrella.
You night get lucky though and never see a drop of rain. Friends went a couple years ago. Said it was a bit cool at night but nice for most of the trip.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Yeah I forgot about rain gear haha. Come to think of it there was a bit of rain when we were up there in July last time. Hopefully I'll be up there by July for good this year :woott:

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
We took the same cruise and it was awesome. We took a train ride up the mountain at one of the first stops and seen lots of wildlife. Lots to do on the ship also. There were several restaurants and other things on the cruise we didn't even have time for. When u first get on the ship don't buy any of the things they are trying to sell u as u get off the elevator. There is so much food at the buffet that u wont need the all u can eat and drink ice cream and coke and all the other little stuff they try to get u for. Have fun. If u like it pitch black stay on the inside of the ship and u will sleep better than u ever have before but if u want to see whales and stuff stay on the outside of the ship. Also try to stay in the center of the ship as it doesn't move as much as the ends. I would also look for the wrist bands that help with see sickness and take some pills with u. It will save you a tone of money cuz on the ship they are 10x's the cost. Defently do the formal dinner it is awesome but takes about 2 hours.

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
The train ride is Skagway, Any helicopter ride- the one at Juneau lands on a glacier. Most places are "Tourist Traps" selling, but that is how they make a living in 5 months- to last the year.
You will adjust to the long daylight- dark at midnight and light at 3. Further north, it stays light all night. Lots of wild life. Probably won't see much from the ship, but side trips are worth it.