AirDog water drain?

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Does it make any difference if the pump is running or not when checking the water drain on the AirDog water separator? (Just key on with pump running, truck not running, of course). Do you usually have to purge air out of the system after checking the water drain?

LBZ-DURAMAX

Jared
Feb 12, 2015
NW Ohio
I would think with the pump off drain until you see fuel... The air dog is a air separator and should be just fine refilling its own filter and separating the air... Just my .02 but what do I know :D

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
I do it with the pump off, I've only cracked it to start some fires and its got a pretty good siphon/suction because I've taken almost 2 gallons out and it was a steady stream the whole time.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I think i tried it with the pump running and it actually sucked air in the water drain. I always drain the water with the pump off as the water drain is at or below the level of fuel in the tank and will siphon fuel from the tank.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think i tried it with the pump running and it actually sucked air in the water drain. I always drain the water with the pump off as the water drain is at or below the level of fuel in the tank and will siphon fuel from the tank.
Yes, the water separator is on the suction side of the pump. You must drain it with the pump not running.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Do they not work well or is my fuel just completely waterless because I've drained it 2 times in 2 years into a glass jar and not once did I even get the slightest hint of water...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Do they not work well or is my fuel just completely waterless because I've drained it 2 times in 2 years into a glass jar and not once did I even get the slightest hint of water...

How long had it been since the pump had run when you drained it?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Yeah, it needs to sit for a while to let the water collect at the bottom. Maybe you're getting lucky and getting good fuel. The separators are good. They're made by Baldwin.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Well I only fuel at shell or chevron so either I'm getting lucky or 3-4 hours isn't enough time to separate the water

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I have 3 years on mine I wasn't aware it had a service life.

When I first installed mine the airdog instructions said to change it if damaged or if it wouldn't drain... Nowhere did it mention a service interval