Airdog questions

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
Im hooking up a 150gph i got for a good deal on Facebook and it didn't come with all the parts.

I was able to get fittings from a hardware store that work and i have it ready to go in the truck.

So what im wondering is can i just tee the return line into the factory fuel return line or do i have to use the filler neck cuff? Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Use the filler neck cuff. Unless you are using a sump then you can return through the suction side of the sending unit

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you can return into the factory return line. thats how the AD2 is set up. i also prefer it that way as it helps keep the factory sump topped off when you start running your tank down low. limits the "1/4 tank" issues some guys have

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
you can return into the factory return line. thats how the AD2 is set up. i also prefer it that way as it helps keep the factory sump topped off when you start running your tank down low. limits the "1/4 tank" issues some guys have

Since when? All the Airdog 2s I install still have the fuel going into filler neck. I would not tap into factory return. Airdogs return a lot of fuel when not wot.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Since when? All the Airdog 2s I install still have the fuel going into filler neck. I would not tap into factory return. Airdogs return a lot of fuel when not wot.

Maybe they changed it but from 09-13 i know they used the factory return line and i have yet to have any issues with it. im still on the original motor from 09 as well ;).

i would much rather keep fuel going to my sump than to the filler neck when returned.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm not sure the factory return is large enough to allow the Air Dog to have an unrestricted flow of return fuel.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well if i would see a negative affect from it, it would be in the fact you cant reduce the pressure via the adjustment. ive been all the way down to 5psi without issue when i had a sticky FPR i was trying to diagnose.

i have a feelin AD went away from it thinking it would solve their shitty motor setup but we know that didnt fix it.

Robocop

Oct 30, 2016
I was always under the impression you had to use the filler neck on AD and Fass setups.

That is one of the mail reasons I am wanting to go with a Kennedy setup, I don't want to have to cut the hose and install that T piece I feel that is opening up the door for leaks and is rigged IMO.

I know that Fass just came out with a new lift pump setup for 15 - 16 LML's that I was interested in but again having to install the filler neck return and the whole 1/4 issue is a deal breaker.

Is the filler neck return strictly needed for larger diameter hose or is it to give more time for the air bubbles to dissipate prior to being sucked back up into the system?

tsd_billy

Apr 5, 2016
oklahoma city
I was always under the impression you had to use the filler neck on AD and Fass setups.

That is one of the mail reasons I am wanting to go with a Kennedy setup, I don't want to have to cut the hose and install that T piece I feel that is opening up the door for leaks and is rigged IMO.

I know that Fass just came out with a new lift pump setup for 15 - 16 LML's that I was interested in but again having to install the filler neck return and the whole 1/4 issue is a deal breaker.

Is the filler neck return strictly needed for larger diameter hose or is it to give more time for the air bubbles to dissipate prior to being sucked back up into the system?

Kinda what I'm worried is that the engine return flow would keep the pumps pressure regulator ball seated if i ran it on the rail instead of the filler neck. Im using a beans tank sump so i might just return it through the sending unit but i didn't want to trash an airdog much less a lb7 fuel system if i tapped into the fuel return

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
well if i would see a negative affect from it, it would be in the fact you cant reduce the pressure via the adjustment. ive been all the way down to 5psi without issue when i had a sticky FPR i was trying to diagnose.

i have a feelin AD went away from it thinking it would solve their shitty motor setup but we know that didnt fix it.

The Air Dog II and the original Air Dog have a very different setup on how they return fuel. The volume of return on an original Air Dog is significantly more than a II. That's my only concern.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The Air Dog II and the original Air Dog have a very different setup on how they return fuel. The volume of return on an original Air Dog is significantly more than a II. That's my only concern.

ah i see

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Kinda what I'm worried is that the engine return flow would keep the pumps pressure regulator ball seated if i ran it on the rail instead of the filler neck. Im using a beans tank sump so i might just return it through the sending unit but i didn't want to trash an airdog much less a lb7 fuel system if i tapped into the fuel return

If you're running a sump, just hook the air dog return line to the factory pick up line (which is no longer being used)

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

The return is "overhead" fuel, at wide open throttle you'll see less fuel returned than at idle.