Air leak sound at high RPM

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
Ok so here is what i have, I have what sounds like a air/vaccum leak sound from the engine area when I am around 2800 RPM and about 75% into the throttle. I checked the couplers for the the pipes on the turbo and those seem to be fine (only exception is the drivers side coupler slips a little when tightening it but i got it to hold). I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but i am hoping it isnt bearings going out on the turbo, i checked the turbo about 1500 miles ago when i changed out the FPR. Hoping someone has some suggestions.

I dont have guages so I cant see if i am losing boost when it happens.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Do you have a way to pressure test your cold & hot side?
How much is that clamp holding? They need to be pretty strong otherwise they will leak.
Are you getting any black smoke when at 3/4 throttle?

If you can take the plastic intake off the turbo, hook up a cap with a gauge so you can pressuize the system to 10 - 15 psi. Then take some soaping water and put on your connects, if you have a leak you'll see bubbles. If you don't see any leaks on your connections I would move onto your intercooler.

Yellowchevy

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
The clamps appear like it is holding fine, was thinking bout oredering a new coupler kit. I dont have black smoke but i do have some grey/white smoke but it has done that since i have had the truck. It was tuned right after i bought it and it isnt heavy smoke, just enough to see it when i really get on it.

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
So here is what i looked at and then what i did. The coupler on the hot side turbo pipe was thrashed, kept slipping and it finally shot off yesterday morning on the way to work yay!!!!!

Saturday I said screw it and ordered a Banks Power tube, it came in yesterday and I replaced the coupler and tube. Runs better, still a slight almost whine at this point when i really get on it.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
If it's still making the noise check for exhaust leaks at the #7 exhaust port. Seems to be a common leak area on the early LLY's

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
do you have an egr blocker plate installed? if so check it, they can leak and make a high pitched screech sound.

TheMyth

YouDontSeeMe
Aug 21, 2012
Yea i do have one on there and i have checked that, it is a differnt sound than what is normally associated with that. (had that leak before)

Thanks for the ideas so far

gmpat21

Oct 6, 2013
I just experienced the exact same thing on a truck. Check the gasket between the intake and ybridge mouthpiece the oval gasket with two bolt holes. I had a folded gasket causing noise

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
The elbow on my S&B intake deformed on the bottom that caused an opening that drew air in. It made that kind of sound at high throttle settings.