Aftermarket Turbos

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
larry i had smoke like you before the gt40 install and now i can only get a big cloud off of a stop light....then it just shits and gets. Once the turbo lites it looks like im runing nitrous. Just look at my drag race video from kil kare

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Heck he's got a 3 inch down pipe hidden in there. Larry you didn't tell Simon?
No Mike, i was actually reffering to others when i posted that:)
but dont you mean 4" and not 3":confused:

i agrree larry would make a smoke tune no matter what turbo he gets:D
All the BS stops here :eek: I want first dibs on that turbo :D

:rofl:the A5k comes with a T3 flange? sorry ive just never looked into it:eek:

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
No Mike, i was actually reffering to others when i posted that:)
but dont you mean 4" and not 3":confused:

i agrree larry would make a smoke tune no matter what turbo he gets:D

:rofl:the A5k comes with a T3 flange? sorry ive just never looked into it:eek:

Nope, I have the Diamond Eye which is a 3", but it is lots better flowing, no sharp 90's or flat spots.:D

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Seriously, or somewhat. The most important thing I see, is getting away from the T3 ped and moving up to the T4. Drive pressure kills pistons. Some big (2") custom riser pipes couldn't hurt either. I spoke to a Dmax engine builder today who is running a smaller 2.8 charger on a T4 housing. He/She said it spools faster and makes more power than the 3.0 charger he/she was running (credible source). 1,400 max egt's. So, where should we go? Twins? I'm Not convenced yet. We are alway's so concerned about intake flow and frequently forget about the exhaust side of the charger. When heated air packs up against the charger it get's hotter. (egt's). Efficiency applies to both sides of boost maker.

Steve, what A/R housing are you running with your ATS Aurora 5000? There are a bunch of different exhaust A/R sizes available.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
What are everyones thoughts on buying a used turbo? Good idea or too risky better to buy a new one.

If you knew how to inspect them for damage and was able to do so pre-buy, I'd say go for it concerning the used charger. Buying new gives a since of security, but heck even a new one can have trouble. Pat would probably give some good feedback on what to look for in a used turbo.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Every turbo should have specs for shaft endplay and possibly up/down movement in thousanth's of an inch usually measured with a dial indicator.

Other than that it's usually just a visual of the fins, oil inlet and outlet and any other visible signs of damage, abuse, overheating etc.

If the price is right-I think it would be worth it in a stock to mild tuning situation.
If you push it-it may not last depending on how abused it was previously.
Just my :2cents:

smith6.6

Aug 14, 2006
waukesha Wi
I've had the HTT on for a year and a half it works great for towing, know that I'm going to get into truck pulling I'm going to build compound twins using the HTT and the larger turbo is also from HTT. Hopefully I get time to start fabbing it together.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
I've had the HTT on for a year and a half it works great for towing, know that I'm going to get into truck pulling I'm going to build compound twins using the HTT and the larger turbo is also from HTT. Hopefully I get time to start fabbing it together.

Very cool. VERY HUGE task, good luck to you.:)

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Thats what I thought too but just wanted to make sure. I don't see DP floating my valves. Just got boost up with 53 average vane angle through 4th gear so I thought I would ask, figure mine should be high :roflmao: