After market oil pressure light

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I've got an old automated shift light I'd like to hook up as a low oil pressure light. Anyone done such a thing before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
That sounds pretty cool. Guess it would need to be calibrated or converted to operate on the same resistance range as the oil pressure sensor.

I'm sure it's possible. Just depends on how much you want to put into it haha. Interesting though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
You'll need to run an external/aftermarket sensor/switch on the engine. ECM reads oil pressure directly via an analog 0-5v 3-wire sensor. Its not a standard type varistor, and its certainly not just an on/off switch.

ECM sends oil pressure reading to cluster over the databus.

So basically, no, you arent going to be able to "tap into" anything existing on the engine. Use a second aftermarket pressure switch that closes at 20 psi or something. Im sure Summit Racing has them.

Ben

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Gotcha well theres plenty of plugs I could use. And yeah I actually had 20 psi in mind, thanks. Don't need a gauge, and had that light laying trying to be cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
You could use an adjustable Hobbs type switch that's NC (Normally Closed) and a simple light with just 12v + and - terminals; adjust the switch to activate at 20 psi, hook the ground wire from the light to one end of the switch and the other end of the switch to ground. When there's 20 psi or more the light is off, then there's 20 psi or less the light is on. Hook the 12+ wire to an ign on 12v source.