Advice on a build?

dbev24

Oct 27, 2011
Darlington pa
Wow low 12s wow be great! My goal after the build is 10s. I'm gonna try goin to the track close my house opens back up I'll let u know how it does.

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Whatever you do, don't do a "half build". It's not worth it. Do it all at once.

Budget $10k, get it done right, otherwise after you spent $7k on a "decent" motor that will hold 800hp with no problems, you'll make 900hp and then will be spending another $7k to replace a cut/coated piston you just cracked.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Wow low 12s wow be great! My goal after the build is 10s. I'm gonna try goin to the track close my house opens back up I'll let u know how it does.

600 rwhp in an ecsb like yours would have you in the very low 12s already.

Budget $10k, get it done right, otherwise after you spent $7k on a "decent" motor that will hold 800hp with no problems, you'll make 900hp and then will be spending another $7k to replace a cut/coated piston you just cracked.

Been there done that, except it was an 800-900 rwhp build that I pushed to ~1200.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL

x3

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I think I was talking to you on FB-but here is my list

Ok here is what I decided to go with after talking to a bunch of guys smarter than me:
Carrillo rods
Hamilton springs
ARP main/head studs
Stock cam but keyed
Mag check the crank and key it
ATI damper and new to me flex plate
Cut and coat my old pistons
New main, thrust, and rod bearings
Line bore the mains
Tq plate hone the cylinders
Valve job/check the heads
60% over inj
Balance the entire thing
And one day when I have money again- billet input/output for the ally and a second CP3

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND

Or you end up like me, pull the engine to do the HG/HS and injectors, see it sitting there and after Rob asked WTF was wrong with me for not doing rods start calling people at 4pm on a friday trying to get the rest of the parts....
I never claimed to be smart!

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
I would add a BD flexplate to the list - they are cheap enough ($400 suggested retail) to be worth avoiding pulling the trans if you crack the stock one. Otherwise it sounds like a solid build for 800ish rwhp. Above that and I would want to get away from stock pistons.

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Have many people cracked the oem flexplate? Are they huge power trucks or what? Why are you getting an ATI damper, what is wrong with the stock? I see a bunch of people are getting aftermarket balancers and I don't understand why, unless it is weirdness in drag racing or pulling rules.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
Have many people cracked the oem flexplate? Are they huge power trucks or what? Why are you getting an ATI damper, what is wrong with the stock? I see a bunch of people are getting aftermarket balancers and I don't understand why, unless it is weirdness in drag racing or pulling rules.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I have replaced them on trucks with under 600 rwhp but on the other hand I was running a stock one and didn't know it was cracked until pulling the motor after losing a cut and coated LB7 piston. I think with the relatively cheap price of the new BD flexplate it is something to think about for any build. I would also recommend the balancer on any build.