LBZ: Adding more calibrations to EFILive's DSP5 folders

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Could you not just put a toggle switch on the EGR? on it works off it doesn't?:confused:

If ya ran the wire inside cab, I don't see why not. Problem is, likely will set a code and CEL if switched off. So new issue then if someone jacking in.

Ran into similar issue on LMM DSP5 the other day that hadn't seen before but is noted here. EGR popping CEL for low flow after mod. So we flat lined the flow calc tables, still no love.. Seems GM actually released a patch and SB due to coolers plugging up and causing this issue. Trying a couple more changes before starting over with that factory cal.

As to original post, do a google search for Mercedes 2004 E320 CDI EGR mod. Few years back some EU guys posted how to make a $10 trick board / box that fakes MAF volume base on EGR requested position. Those CDI engines would straight up limp if you disconnected it. I tested and it works. Thinking that might be your fix. No turning required, and being both are Bosch ECU, likely works exactly the same.

MachineDoc

Apr 1, 2018
Ontario Canada
Sorry, was out of town for a bit. And wow thanks for all the replies.

Ontario sounds worse than California.

From what I hear it is! I was pulled over the last time from him seeing me across an intersection. I wasn't even driving when he made the decision to pull me over and my truck looks all stock except for the 5" exhaust which he could not see or know I had till after he made his decision. I call vehicle profiling here. lol

The scanner he plugged in was checking to see if the smog monitors were ready. If you’re running your egr deleted tunes and switch to your egr working tune (if you were even able to make that happen) your smog monitors would not be ready. So you would be in the same boat.
My smog monitors were working. The only reason he sent me to the dealer was cause when he had me snap the peddle his young buck partner said the exhaust smelled raunchy. :banghead:
So maybe I don't understand what the the "smog monitor" does in an LBZ. Since there are no post engine sensors , does not all smog monitoring come from intake and fuel data? If this is the case the monitors would be working all the time and only the EGR table values would change.
Basicly this \/

You can set it up to not flow any EGR and still pass all readiness monitors.

This way it will report its all good but in effect the EGR valve never opens to allow any flow, its a stupidly simple system to fool.
Yes exactly. But can only do this on the base tune and not the DPS5 tunes. I need the base tune to be stock because the thing the dealer checked to "make sure" the EGR was working was seeing a different MAF rate when the EGR was opened. I think this means a finger stick wont work either, as it doesn't give data that correlates with the MAF (as far as I know, I could be wrong).

MachineDoc

Apr 1, 2018
Ontario Canada
Ontario is as bad as Cali for emissions. They realized there was money to be had. OP we had a 05 yanked that had all the EGR gone. Took it to GM and it still passed the test the MOE wants you to do. However we put it back in, didnt change the tune or anything and it again passed the test but I know it was not turning on.

Are you over the 4500kg registered weight from MTO?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Yes exactly. But can only do this on the base tune and not the DPS5 tunes. I need the base tune to be stock because the thing the dealer checked to "make sure" the EGR was working was seeing a different MAF rate when the EGR was opened. I think this means a finger stick wont work either, as it doesn't give data that correlates with the MAF (as far as I know, I could be wrong).
Actually, this is exactly what a Finger Stick would do. It looks at the commanded opening of the EGR valve and blends the MAF signal to the ECU so it looks right, fooling the computer. So when they command EGR to open to whatever percent, the MAF flow will drop just like if it was working.

Sounds like a blocker plate and a finger stick is what you need if you absolutely can't tolerate the idea of your EGR actually doing its job. That will make it look like it works, unless someone looks close and sees the blocker plate or the finger stick.

MachineDoc

Apr 1, 2018
Ontario Canada
Actually, this is exactly what a Finger Stick would do. It looks at the commanded opening of the EGR valve and blends the MAF signal to the ECU so it looks right, fooling the computer. So when they command EGR to open to whatever percent, the MAF flow will drop just like if it was working.

Sounds like a blocker plate and a finger stick is what you need if you absolutely can't tolerate the idea of your EGR actually doing its job. That will make it look like it works, unless someone looks close and sees the blocker plate or the finger stick.

Well I've been schooled then. I don't remember finding any info on that when I was looking into it. Thanks

So I have another question then. If the EGR isn't so bad to have running then why does everyone on here in such a dam hurry to block it?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Well I've been schooled then. I don't remember finding any info on that when I was looking into it. Thanks

So I have another question then. If the EGR isn't so bad to have running then why does everyone on here in such a dam hurry to block it?

When you run higher boost pressures it will push the flap open. Blocking it stops that from happening.

At least they had a crackhead mayor in Toronto...:D

California just has a Ferry named Jerry...

I wonder why they would name a boat Jerry? :confused:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Who said the EGR isn’t bad? I don’t think anyone here would say that....
I did LOL
EGR isn't all that bad, really. The combination of EGR and PCV is what makes an unholy mess.
I stand by that. Just EGR on its own isn't terrible. The LB7 always vented the PCV to the atmosphere, and I have worked on a number of the CA emissions models that had EGR, and the intake was never that plugged up. Sometimes the valve itself would crap out, but usually just from being crap.

The later models with the PCV and EGR, now those are a mess. But for LB7's, I generally leave EGR operational until it stops working or starts blowing open under boost. I never seem to have a problem with it on sub-450 HP tunes, aside from normal age-related EGR valve failure. At which point, it gets turned off, because no way am I tearing that much of my engine apart to fix EGR.