Add another build to the list

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Right, JD haha. My dyslexia kicked in. I dynoed my Caddy when he had that big open house at his shop a few weekends back.

And I ended up not using a torque plate for the hone. I did a lot of research on it and based my decision off that. We'll see if I regret it or not. I knew if I did do a torque plate hone it probably would have had to get new pistons and I've already burned too much money as is on this damn thing.

I never used a tq plate on my first motor and it was fine. :)

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
It runs!! :woott::woott:

Pulled a late night Friday however I swear something didn't want me to finish the engine. Idiot me broke a cup off of one of the push rods when I went to tighten the rockers. So I drove to a friends house to grab one off his torn apart engine. Ended up getting stuck in the middle of a thunderstorm with golf ball sized hail :mad: Then the power went out at the shop. And then I had to take a half hour break as I managed to cut my hand 3 times in 10 minutes lol. Long night but was finally able to start it around 1:30am. Spent all day Saturday tying up loose ends and nit-picking tiny details. Only thing I'm waiting on is an air filter intake setup and a T-4 spacer plate to space the small turbo up a bit more. Should have everything by next weekend!

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Took advantage of having yesterday off and put about 200 miles on the truck. Feels good to be driving it again! The engine is very quiet and idles real smooth. Cut the muffler off and took it for a long drive through the mountains. Daily drives surprizingly well. The turbos are definitely laggy, but I'm still running stock tuning right now. Will more than likely swap out the exhaust housing on the secondary from 1.15a/r down to the .90a/r if I can find one. Right now they really come alive at about 2900rpm. Saw about 30lbs of boost so far. Couldn't tell you EGT's as the probe stopped working :mad:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So here are my choices for exhaust housings:

.58 T4 divided
.68 T4 undivided
.70 T4 divided
.81 T4 undivided
.84 T4 divided
.96 T4 undivided

Since I have an external gate how tight can I go with the turbine housing? I assume a divided housing would help with spool slightly more?

delong_1

<< my work
Dec 5, 2008
Arvada, CO
you can go really small, thats how mine is. with a small housing on the high pressure you can open the gate more and it will drive the big turbo harder.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
To me 3300us is maxxed out but what do i know. Look at the video... do you see any fuel left to burn?

Why does it even matter? Im just doing my thing and im plenty happy :thumb: 9s on my Allison very soon and ill drive it to Walmart to get some groceries.

3300uS I BEYOND maxd out IMO :eek: lol

it took under 2000uS to go 10s.

2500-2600uS on 150s is IMO getting very aggressive and 2900uS is completely nuts out

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
So I've been searching and searching this afternoon trying to find some calculations or math that I could use to figure out how small of a housing I can go with before it maxes out my wastegate. But it sounds like it's more trial and error. Anyone know exactly how I can figure out my wastegate and turbine housing flow? Or is there more involved with that?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I personally called Comp Turbo and talked to Justin about my housing. He recommended the .84a/r. Said he felt anything smaller would be too much of a restriction, even with the external gate. So I'll get some more miles on it but will probably order up that housing next week. In the mean time this is how she looks finished up! Don't mind the zip-tied on air filter haha.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
One of these days in down your direction I'd love to come check it out, I work around Fort Lupton area and supposed to be transfered there for good. Looks amazing!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
One of these days in down your direction I'd love to come check it out, I work around Fort Lupton area and supposed to be transfered there for good. Looks amazing!

Sounds good man just let me know! Hopefully it'll be completely done and tuned by then.

Got the opportunity to really break in the truck today. A friend needed 100 bales of hay moved so I figured why not :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373170460.163471.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373170460.163471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373170460.163471.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 62