Adapting a Ford PCM fan to LB7 Sierra

dthela

Jan 11, 2015
Kinda mad sounding but I have a ford PCM fan and the attached module that creates pulses to control the electric fan speed. Would be nice to have this feature in the truck, rather than just using an on/off thermostat control. Does the electrical connection of the LB7 mechanical fan clutch work the same way or is it on/off? By the way the ford fan unit has apparently a 2 speed motor I heard. Why if it is pulse controlled I don't know. Nice thing is if you cut the shroud off the ford fan and just leave the round ring it fits right into the round opening in the Sierra shroud.

Attachments

• fordfan.jpg
    fordfan.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 31

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Ford is either off, low, or high. Rarely will it kick on period. It may kick on low when its hot out and you have the ac, but I used to have one and it never ran. If i was hooked to a trailer and hauling big hills, you would here it come on. I also had a half ton gmc. It had e-fans factory. It also had settings in the tune to adjust fan speed operation. one fan on low at xxx temp, and the 2nd would kick on +xxx degrees more. Turn the ac on and both ran on high.

Unfortunately, the duramaxs are equipped with a viscous style fan clutch. It should get harder to spin the fan the more the engine temps under hood heat up. Meaning, when the engine bay is cold, it will spin easier and help the truck warm up, and as under hood temps rise, it will get stiffer to spin. In the end making it pull more air. There is no ecm pin locations available in the 01-10 duramaxs for e-fans to be controlled by the ECM.

The 11+s have electric fan clutches, but don't know about any aftermarket support for those.

dthela

Jan 11, 2015
The control on the ford fans use pulses varying the pulse width for changing temperatures. It's solid state and receives signal from the PCM in fords. Anyone know if there is a pulsed output available on the LB7's? Or a circuit (besides on/off relays) to control these fans?

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
What's so wrong with the viscus clutch setup that does basically the exact same thing? If you're hell bent on having an electric fan I'm pretty sure there are stand-alone variable fan controllers out there.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
One electric fan is not going to be enough, even 2 fans wont put out the cfm that our stock fan does.
electric fans have to be mounted to the radiator with a minimum gap to be effective
I run 2 ford taurus fans on my regular cab using 2 Delta controls(prior to delta releasing the dual fan control) Ive never seen it get hot enough to kick on the high speed

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
Wher's Ben when you need him?Ben from BT diesel works is a mad scientist with this stuff.Cool idea though!

Ben started working on this quite a long time ago with the dual taurus fans but he quit working on it and I have never heard anything back.