AD165 II issues

Devil_Z

Aug 3, 2015
I was having an issue with it burning up/melting fuses over and over so I read online that it's because the wiring that comes from the factory sucks. So, I cut it all out, cut off the factory harness and wired in 10GA all the way through including all wires that go to the relay. I wanted the fuse to also be ran on 10GA wire and didn't realize the fuse I replaced it with was 40A.

Anyway, I had a separate issue today and got it squared away for the most part. I was letting the truck idle for a bit to take in some coolant and saw my fuel pressure went to zero and blew the terminal fuse. I replaced the fuse thinking it was probably due to all the crap from earlier, breaking my belt and what not. After I put in a new fuse and went back inside I came out about 10 minutes later to see that fuel pressure dropped to zero again. I go to check the fuse and see that it's fine.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the airdog isn't fine. with the motor off you can barely hear sound coming from it.

I started feeling around, none of the wires are remotely hot. The relay is a little more than warm and the top of the motor to the airdog is very hot to the touch.

I realize I had a fuse that was more than what it should have been and may have damaged my airdog. Hopefully it is just overheated and really weak right now due to that.

I'm not understanding why I'm still having an issue though. I grounded the wire to the frame where the airdog is mounted and have 10ga wire all the way up to the battery. All the connections are good and clean and the AD is mounted on a terminal by itself on the hot side which I also sanded to make sure it would have a good connection.

The only thing that I can think of is the relay is a little different, but I wouldn't think it would cause this sort of issue. The picture was taken before I replaced all the wires and fuse block. It's just to show the two relays.

I appreciate any ideas. Very frustrating.

IMAG0875.jpg

Last edited:

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I've never had an issue with my AD II 165, it came with a 2 amp fuse which seems a little small to me but it's never blown. Your fuse block looks like it's been through a lot, could be there's something going on with it. Double check your ground connections with an ohmmeter to make sure you are in fact getting a good ground. Also check voltage to the AD motor, you should be getting the same as your battery voltage. I don't recognize the SS relay, could be the contacts are different and shorting out something.

Devil_Z

Aug 3, 2015
I've never had an issue with my AD II 165, it came with a 2 amp fuse which seems a little small to me but it's never blown. Your fuse block looks like it's been through a lot, could be there's something going on with it. Double check your ground connections with an ohmmeter to make sure you are in fact getting a good ground. Also check voltage to the AD motor, you should be getting the same as your battery voltage. I don't recognize the SS relay, could be the contacts are different and shorting out something.

That was a picture before I replaced everything. It was just to show the old relay and the new. The relay I'm using currently is the one on the right and I replaced all wires/fuse block with brand new ones. You're correct in saying all those wires looked like they've seen better days, which is why I replaced literally every wire, relay, fuse and harness in the system with new.

I'll check the voltage at battery and AD tomorrow, assuming it turns on correctly after cooling down and sitting over night.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Motor is probably bad, seals go out on shaft and let fuel into the motor assembly. It was a common problem, just call them. Their customer service is great...

That relay wont hurt anything...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Motor was going bad, drawing far too many amps....thats why the fuses are blowing.

As long as you sent the warranty card in, AD should cover it. Call and ask them.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There's no reason you should need 10 ga wiring to the pump. That's just covering for another problem. Like has already been said, call Air Dog and let them know what is going on.

Devil_Z

Aug 3, 2015
I got a hold of the company and their customer support is pretty damn good. I upgraded to the 4g because it was only $50 and I'd get a new warranty card to go with it, but after going to install the motor I realized it is much larger than the original and it hits the tap in to the fuel with the auto meter gauge.

I'll have to relocate the autometer gauge and get a bolt to fill the open hole where it used to be. Any ideas on where the best spot to relocate this? Here's some pictures to give an idea.
IMAG0995.jpg

IMAG0992.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

Devil_Z

Aug 3, 2015
I have mine on a tee on the hose going to the cp3
I installed the motor and capped off the fuel hole. I'm just waiting to get a dt04-2p harness in the mail to connect it to the pump and actually wire it in.

As for the fuel pressure gauge I feel like I'm way over thinking this, but would this be the best thing to get? I see most people just add a fitting to the stock fuel filter head, but mine i deleted on my truck, so that's not an option for me. I would just cut the hose going to my dual cp3 and splice this in then attach my auto meter gauge?
http://www.amazon.com/Weatherhead-1...80&sr=8-3&keywords=1/8+npt+female+to+barb+tee

Devil_Z

Aug 3, 2015
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Had a quick question. I finally wired up the motor and relocated my autometer into the hose off my dual cp3. After I installed everything the fuel pressure gauge is not giving a reading. I checked the wires to make sure there were no breaks. Is it possible the sensor just stopped working after I switched locations? I'm attaching a picture of how I installed it to make sure I didn't do something retarded. Thanks in advanced.

IMAG1001.jpg

IMAG1002.jpg

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Had a quick question. I finally wired up the motor and relocated my autometer into the hose off my dual cp3. After I installed everything the fuel pressure gauge is not giving a reading. I checked the wires to make sure there were no breaks. Is it possible the sensor just stopped working after I switched locations? I'm attaching a picture of how I installed it to make sure I didn't do something retarded. Thanks in advanced.

IMAG1001.jpg

IMAG1002.jpg

You have the sender on the return side of the fuel line coming out of pump. You need to hook into the supply side.