LB7: About to tackle my injectors, any pointers?

HaubSS

Jun 24, 2015
Lemoore, CA
First I want to start by saying this site is epic. Been a longtime browser, figured it was time to join up!

I have my injectors , install kit and T-stats coming in next week. I have read multiple DIYs (huge help) and have all the tools needed. For those that have done it, wondering if there were any other pointers or "tricks of the trade" to simplify the process. My truck has EGR , going to be blocking that off and doing a PCV reroute while I'm at it.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Welcome! I did injectors on my old LB7 last year. It wasn't a hard project but it did take me around a week to do (I work during the day). If you have any questions there is nothing these guys cant help you out with!

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Im trying to find a thread where you put a vacuum (i think) tester on the head to test for leaks before you put everything back together.. I cant find the thread, maybe someone else will chime in

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
The vacuum thing is good verification but not totally necessary. Long as you're careful with the return banjo gaskets. Make sure none fall. And keep everything clean. I've never had a problem. Also resist the urge to over tighten the lines and return banjo bolts. Especially the return banjos. The head strips easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It's not necessary but it's quick and easy. Better than taking stuff apart again.

Check out the cups and adjust the valves while you're in there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HaubSS

Jun 24, 2015
Lemoore, CA
I'm plan on torquing the return banjos to spec and calling it good. Everything is getting new seals so I'm not to worried about the leaks. Just following the tq specs and replacing all seals.

loganater

Nov 20, 2014
whatever town im working in
I'm plan on torquing the return banjos to spec and calling it good. Everything is getting new seals so I'm not to worried about the leaks. Just following the tq specs and replacing all seals.

thats exactlly what i did a few weeks ago and never had any problems.

check and recheck everything before you close up the valve covers and you should be fine

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I've had new banjo return line gaskets leak when bolts torqued to spec. So do a test before you button the damn thing up. Last thing you want is to look down and see very low oil pressure and have serveral quarts of fuel in the crank case leading to pulling the valve covers off again.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
If you need any help or get stuck on the job just give us a call Charles and we will be more than glad to help.

HaubSS

Jun 24, 2015
Lemoore, CA
If you need any help or get stuck on the job just give us a call Charles and we will be more than glad to help.
Brent, will do man. You guys have some great customer support. Lauren had my order shipped about an hour after after I placed it Friday!

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
I would get a new set of banjo bolts if you haven't already...just in case,also use a good 5 mm Allen and not a 3/16 because you will be cutting them off.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
A good set of socket bolt extractors will do wonders on the stripped hex bolts on the valve covers (if some retard stripped them the last time the truck was into) and they work awesome if the same retard over tightened the banjo bolts. It simply grabs the head of the stripped banjo bolt and boom breaks loose. Discard stripped bolt and replace. They have saved me hours of work.

HaubSS

Jun 24, 2015
Lemoore, CA
I would get a new set of banjo bolts if you haven't already...just in case,also use a good 5 mm Allen and not a 3/16 because you will be cutting them off.
Thanks for the idea. Just ordered all 10 return line banjo bolts and the valve cover bolts. I planned on putting it all back together with blue LocTite. Any advice on that?

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Make sure you drain the coolant. It is not a bad job unless someone did a half ass job before. Have a shop vac on hand to clean off top of valve covers before you take them off.

HaubSS

Jun 24, 2015
Lemoore, CA
Injectors done and she runs like a champ! Had some troubleshooting to do, big thanks to Brent @ Lincoln Diesel, had some troubleshooting to do for DTC U1800, turns out I killed my FICM during tear down. Got a used one for $295.

Overall the injectors were easy, it's getting to them thats the real b!tc#.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
Injectors done and she runs like a champ! Had some troubleshooting to do, big thanks to Brent @ Lincoln Diesel, had some troubleshooting to do for DTC U1800, turns out I killed my FICM during tear down. Got a used one for $295.

Overall the injectors were easy, it's getting to them thats the real b!tc#.

Did you go with stockers?