7.8 Liter Duramax

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Huh, there a bedplate design? Cool!

Pretty sure Ive heard one, if it was one it was real quiet.

I wanna see one shame a 12V :thumb::rofl:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
It is way overbuilt. That is keeping in line with true heavy duty application engines. Probably running 1/2 the Hp/tq it could in civilian trim.

The Denso ECMs are programmable with software similar to EFI. A quick search didn't pull up a specific 7.8 application, but there were a couple for the big truck Volvo application. A lot will depend on you dedication to the project I am sure.

chevy_dmax

Apr 30, 2008
Gladstone, MO
I was also wondering about the 7.8 Duramax, I am actually in the process of possibly buying one in a 6500. I had no idea they were an I6 tell I popped the hood.

the one I was looking at had a flat bed for hauling lumber gonna turn it into a farm truck with box and hoist. I had a chance to drive it I think they are rated at 210/800 stock this one had an Allison as well. As for the power I was a bit disappointed it didn't move as well as I thought it would. If I buy it I will be looking for some tuning to turn it up so if anyone knows of any others then Diablo let us know

Anyone know what the Allison they put in these big trucks can handle for power?

If I recall, the Allison 3000 series transmission.........anyone?

Bill.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I highly doubt it would hold up to 1200hp.... Its not overbuilt, its a commercial engine on par with other commercial engines of that size.

And yes it is a lot better than the C7. We have a few of them at the shop.

770JOHNNYW

Sep 16, 2009
Gainesville ,Ga
yea i have one in my delivery fleet it has an ally behind it with this huge bell housing...we looked in the past i think ts makes a programmer for it. This ones a pig but it has a huge 30' box on it,but you can def tell it has an ally in it because it takes off like a hot rod!!!