6v53 Detroit diesel Rail running 7's over 30 years ago.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I see a blower on that 2 stroke monster!

ALL DETROIT diesels had blowers, that was how they ran. The intake was ports in the cylinder walls, and it had exhaust valves. It didn't use the crankcase to pressurize the intake charge, but instead a roots type blower. The high HP ones had a valve that actually bypassed the blower at higher boost levels, and used just the turbo to blow the air charge in.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
ALL DETROIT diesels had blowers, that was how they ran. The intake was ports in the cylinder walls, and it had exhaust valves. It didn't use the crankcase to pressurize the intake charge, but instead a roots type blower. The high HP ones had a valve that actually bypassed the blower at higher boost levels, and used just the turbo to blow the air charge in.

I wonder how that valve would work on our compound setups?

from mobile

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

from mobile

I've often wondered why nobody has tried it yet. On the DETROITS it made a big difference to let them breathe better in the upper RPM's and higher boost. JOHNSON & TOWERS used a lot of them on the higher HP DETROITS they did like the 435HP+ 8V53's.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013

from mobile

I've wondered the same also. I believe the 6.4 PSD use a similar valve to bypass the smaller charger. It would be fairly straight forward to Y a tube from the atmospheric charger straight to the hotside pipe with a butterfly valve in it that uses boost pressure to open. I THINK..............

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I've wondered the same also. I believe the 6.4 PSD use a similar valve to bypass the smaller charger. It would be fairly straight forward to Y a tube from the atmospheric charger straight to the hotside pipe with a butterfly valve in it that uses boost pressure to open. I THINK..............

I have wandered about just compounding the exhaust side, but not the air.......

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland

I get my ally parts from johnson towers I will ask them on valves maybe do some testing.

I've often wondered why nobody has tried it yet. On the DETROITS it made a big difference to let them breathe better in the upper RPM's and higher boost. JOHNSON & TOWERS used a lot of them on the higher HP DETROITS they did like the 435HP+ 8V53's.

from mobile