68mm stg2r lagggg

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Tried searching on this topic but couldn't find a whole lot. Im running Danville's 68 mm stg2r on stock injectors and stock cp3 on my lly. 1058 convertor in my built trans. Fass lift pump with 1/2 inch push lock hose straight to the cp3. Ppe up pipes and manifolds and 3 inch innercooler tubes. So anyhow it seems soo laggy. Stock charger lit way better. Would you guys think its safe to say im just really under fueled? My goal for my truck is a quick fun weekend street truck with durability in mind also. I know performance and durability dont go hand in hand but i can hope right? Haha so basically is there anyone else out there running this turbo on stock fueling? Hows it run? Here is my mod list. Any suggestions on how to wake this thing up more? It is possible im just used to the power haha

-egr deleted with hsp 3 inch one piece y bridge
-ppe manifolds and up-pipes
-levi's turbo, manifold & up-pipe blankets
-danville billet 68mm stg2r turbo
-fass 150 lift pump
-PPE Ported fuel rail fitting
-PPE Race plug
-high flow cp3 fuel feed lines and fittings
- s&b turbo mouth piece
- s&b cold air intake
- DHD stainless 3 inch down pipe to 4 inch ss straight pipe w/ 5inch tip
-PVC re route
- built front end, (Cognitto centerlink braces and rare parts heavy duty tierods)
-DHD 3 inch boost tubes
-merchant pump rub kit
-tap shifter
-fleece ali-locker
-fleece fully built trans with suncoast parts, modded main pressure and convertor flow valve and raybestos clutches and 1058 triple disk convertor, bd flex plate
-driver side dip-stick
-suncoast billet input shaft
-arp head studs with grade c head gaskets
-efi live by tony from ridge runner diesel "moonshine" tuning
-fuel 33x12.5x20 gripper mt
-fuel maverick 20x12 -44 offset
-merchant transmission brace
-zone 6 inch lift lowered to 4 inch with fox 2.0 shocks
-fleece HD trans cooler lines
-flight fab traction bars
-beans fuel sump
-1/2 inch i.d. Fuel Line all the way to cp3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
Who's tuning are you using?

It says he's running Tony's tuning.

I would recommend getting tuning straight from Mark, it is his turbo after all and I have heard numerous people having issues with this turbo when tuned by people other than Mark. Not saying that other tuners aren't awesome, but this turbo seems to be really tricky to get right

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Yea i touched base with tony and dont get me wrong the truck runs decent, but just not its full potential i feel like. Tony said mark gave them the basic turbo maps but said obviously mark isnt going to just give his secrets out. Maybe i will try and get a hold of some tuning from mark. I'll have to find a v2 to buy. Tony's tuning is amazing though. Just the drivability of the truck is awesome so i dont want to lose that.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Remember, it's a 68mm, it should spool up a little slower than a stock charger. I wouldn't exspect it to light faster than stock without fueling upgrades.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
It's got to be in the tuning. Mine explodes. It lights faster than stock. I have 40 over's but a stock CP3, so not really running "fuel" per say like a stroker pump or dual cp3. Mark tuned mine conservatively, and I usually run it on tune 4 (567hp), and it still jumps up and screams.

Drock

Apr 20, 2015
Garrison ND
Go with marks tuning and be done. I was in the same boat as you except with a different tuner. Made the switch to mark and couldn't believe what I was missing out on.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
Same issue I had with tuning. I had a 3794 for two weeks and it ran horrible. Then I pulled the charger and swapped it out for a 68mm stage 2r and same thing. Took the truck to mark he tuned it and didn't make any adjustments after the fact. It does spool slightly slower then stock. But it's a day and night different from before he tuned it. It's a bigger charger. Torque converter trans and everything else play a role in how a truck performs.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I guess the 40 overs help then. Mine is def quicker than stock spooling. I go back and forth a lot between a stock turbo'd lmm and mine and it's obvious.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I think it just hits harder not faster and I don't mean it's a two second difference. But a noticeable time. That is just my opinion though.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I think it just hits harder not faster and I don't mean it's a two second difference. But a noticeable time. That is just my opinion though.

There's a thread floating around where turbos are compared for lag. This turbo was quicker than stock. I don't recall what setup was used along with it. I'll have to search.

lemay153

Mar 1, 2012
I'm running the 68 stg2r and I think it's pretty snappy for the size. You gotta remember, whenever you run a larger turbo it's not going to spool the same as stock.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
My truck has a 72R in the valley and spools on par with a stock LLY. I would talk to Mark about tuning. If you can get Tony to sit in the truck and live tune it I am sure that it will run fine but I have run their tunes back to back and Mark made more power.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
1058 is not a good converter for that charger.

And X2 on getting Mark to tune it.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Alright guys thanks for the input. I emailed danville about some tuning. Anyone selling a v2? And yea id like to get a limitless convertor. Been trying ti sell mine.