67 drop in making noise, s400 time?

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
I've had my 67 drop in for a few years now, truck is 2xcp3,65 overs etc. I haven't had any complaints with it until now. Cold it seems it's beginning to get the dreaded death whine. Truck went 11.90s on the 650rwhp tune 2 years ago, after some eye issues I had to take a "leave" from racing. Since I've been cleared I've been toying on the heavy hitter/725rw tune. Hard pulls and a quick let off it's gotten compressor surge, handful of times it's happened under throttle too. Recently started making noise. Truck definitely feels like it has 11.50s in it judging by the butt dyno.

I'm now at the point of wanting to go s467.7 until the bottom end leaves the chat, compound later on after a built engine. I'm now running the goerend R converter and am wondering if it'll compliment well with a 67.7 or if I'll be having to restall too

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
For how I drive I would personally want a touch looser converter but that is just me. What year is the truck? Also, the VS racing G42 units are pretty damn solid and do spool a touch quicker than their borg counterparts while taking the same fitments.

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
For how I drive I would personally want a touch looser converter but that is just me. What year is the truck? Also, the VS racing G42 units are pretty damn solid and do spool a touch quicker than their borg counterparts while taking the same fitments.
Remember ya from way back boss! The truck is an 03. And that's what my fear was as far as the converter. Really wasn't planning on changing until the Trans is due for another refresh. I have toyed with the idea of a precision bb turbo as well. My memory may be off, isn't a gt42 close to a 70 or 72mm?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Remember ya from way back boss! The truck is an 03. And that's what my fear was as far as the converter. Really wasn't planning on changing until the Trans is due for another refresh. I have toyed with the idea of a precision bb turbo as well. My memory may be off, isn't a gt42 close to a 70 or 72mm?
You can get the VS version as I believe a 67 or 68 compressor with their 89mm turbine and ball bearing CHRA. I'll inquire. I've used a few but purchased them from Dustin Mintern. They spool faster than a 467 and make more HP based on the ass dyno.

Reactions: LSxBakakos

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
You can get the VS version as I believe a 67 or 68 compressor with their 89mm turbine and ball bearing CHRA. I'll inquire. I've used a few but purchased them from Dustin Mintern. They spool faster than a 467 and make more HP based on the ass dyno.
That's definitely good to know. I've been pretty dead set on 468 however that seems like a good candidate. Especially if I can gain some mid and high end by ditching this pedestal. I've toyed with a precision bb as well. As bad as it sounds I hope whatever charger I get next still is audible at idle. If I go that route I'll make sure to give him a buzz

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
That's definitely good to know. I've been pretty dead set on 468 however that seems like a good candidate. Especially if I can gain some mid and high end by ditching this pedestal. I've toyed with a precision bb as well. As bad as it sounds I hope whatever charger I get next still is audible at idle. If I go that route I'll make sure to give him a buzz
An S400 does not give any discernable turbocharger noise at idle that I've ever heard. That's from 464/83 to my customer's 485/96 (single).

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Most standard (as in non variable vane) turbos do not have a loud whistle or turbo noises at idle. They're generally just loud (as in exhaust noise).

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
I've only heard two 468s audible at idle. One friend that had a 467.7 fmw on a lly, and that YouTuber dirtymaxjack however I don't know his turbo specs. I've thought about talking with taterbuilt to see if there's a blade setup that'll do so. I'm 32 and feel like I'm 16 saying it lol. it'll be a difficult transition losing that sound with what I have now. Exhaust side idle is definitely there, in gear is blatantly obvious even with a 5050xl muffler

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I've only heard two 468s audible at idle. One friend that had a 467.7 fmw on a lly, and that YouTuber dirtymaxjack however I don't know his turbo specs. I've thought about talking with taterbuilt to see if there's a blade setup that'll do so. I'm 32 and feel like I'm 16 saying it lol. it'll be a difficult transition losing that sound with what I have now. Exhaust side idle is definitely there, in gear is blatantly obvious even with a 5050xl muffler
I'll tell you know there simply isn't a T4 turbo that will do what you want in terms of idle whistle. They are larger in every way than a drop-in and do not have that sound.

As for turbo brand, pick your flavor that you believe in. Personally I stick to FIS, JZ Mfg, and box units from Borg/Garrett as I've had the least amount of issues with those brands.

Dustin (@othrgrl ), what have you been running out of the VS line again?

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
That's fair sir. Hopefully the truck gains some mid and top end. I've come to like this charger a lot, however I feel theres more left on the table going t4 vs a ported pedestal. Think it'd be better overall now and in built engine territory. Just don't know what route I'll go for secondary air. Then again, long way away from that lol

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
That's fair sir. Hopefully the truck gains some mid and top end. I've come to like this charger a lot, however I feel theres more left on the table going t4 vs a ported pedestal. Think it'd be better overall now and in built engine territory. Just don't know what route I'll go for secondary air. Then again, long way away from that lol
I've done a few setups lately that honestly have surprised the hell out of me. I've done a 464/83 & 488/96, 467/87 & 488/96, and 472/87 & 488/96, that have all driven quite well when paired with proper fueling, cam selection, and converter choice (tuning is crucial as well).

My personal truck is S300/S400 as I feel nothing drives as good beyond a VGT (even then it's close). I'm going to be playing with an internally gated T4 housing for mine this winter.

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
I've done a few setups lately that honestly have surprised the hell out of me. I've done a 464/83 & 488/96, 467/87 & 488/96, and 472/87 & 488/96, that have all driven quite well when paired with proper fueling, cam selection, and converter choice (tuning is crucial as well).

My personal truck is S300/S400 as I feel nothing drives as good beyond a VGT (even then it's close). I'm going to be playing with an internally gated T4 housing for mine this winter.
That's really good to hear as far as compounds go. I had wanted to compound over this thing with a 83 however that 468/488 sounds like itd be a winning combo given everything else matches. As far as an internally gated t4 that sounds pretty legit. I'll have to take your word on the way it drives. The only trucks I've been in were both vgt, one had a Danville/s480 and the other was stock with a cast s475. So I've yet to feel how fixed vane is in that aspect

Reactions: Bdsankey

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
That's really good to hear as far as compounds go. I had wanted to compound over this thing with a 83 however that 468/488 sounds like itd be a winning combo given everything else matches. As far as an internally gated t4 that sounds pretty legit. I'll have to take your word on the way it drives. The only trucks I've been in were both vgt, one had a Danville/s480 and the other was stock with a cast s475. So I've yet to feel how fixed vane is in that aspect
If you ever want to talk about it more feel free to get ahold of me! I've played with quite a few different compound setups over the years in our elevations.

I've been toying with the idea of trying out the smeding drop-in knowing it may not last like a true borg. I would then replace the CHRA with a true borg, it just simplifies piping. According to my Smeding rep, their S300s are the same profile as OE borg so it should be an easy fit.

LSxBakakos

May 29, 2022
Illinois
If you ever want to talk about it more feel free to get ahold of me! I've played with quite a few different compound setups over the years in our elevations.

I've been toying with the idea of trying out the smeding drop-in knowing it may not last like a true borg. I would then replace the CHRA with a true borg, it just simplifies piping. According to my Smeding rep, their S300s are the same profile as OE borg so it should be an easy fit.
Definitely appreciate it boss! I'm a ways away, however when that time comes ill probably take ya up on it! And it sounds like it'd be a good winter project lol. Not gonna jack my own thread, probably post back in the track times post. New pb as of tonight, think something in the fuel system may be hurt now though. Or this charger is really on its way lol

Reactions: Bdsankey