66mm turbos -- give me some ideas

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
So what's the difference between a 466 and a 366? Sorry for my ignorance. :D

the difference is that one is in a s300 small frame size, and the other is in a s400 mid frame size. they are both a 66mm inducer, the 466 should have a larger exducer (largest part of the turbo wheel diameter) than the s366 compressor wheel. T-4, T-3 has nothing to do with it. The mid frame (s466) will move more air, and still keep it in the 2.6 pulling class, but be a little laggier since the 466 internals are larger/heavier. Hope this helps CrazyDaze.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
So what's the difference between a 466 and a 366? Sorry for my ignorance. :D

I believe it's T-4 vs. T-3.

i know there maybe a few more differences, but ^ that is the biggest that i know of. kind of gives you the choice to use almost any size charger and just put a custom cover on it. but i am not sure what the rules are up in Michigan or where you will be pulling.

is this for pulling only or for DD and pulling/racing? if it were me and the rules only stated you had to have a inlet no greater then 2.6 i would use a S472 with a 2.6 cover and .90 AR, can still drive and tow with it (just have to change shift points) and it will give you enough air for your 700-750 wants. also you could play with the 2.8 guys and give you a better chance of winning money.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
the difference is that one is in a s300 small frame size, and the other is in a s400 mid frame size. they are both a 66mm inducer, the 466 should have a larger exducer (largest part of the turbo wheel diameter) than the s366 compressor wheel. T-4, T-3 has nothing to do with it. The mid frame (s466) will move more air, and still keep it in the 2.6 pulling class, but be a little laggier since the 466 internals are larger/heavier. Hope this helps CrazyDaze.

very well said :thumb:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana

The 466 is also better at taking the abuse and will be a better choice for competition use. JT Zapien's Custom S466 did 785hp back in May.

CrazyDaze

800+HP Build!!
Apr 6, 2009
Auburn Hills, MI
Wow...so many options!

This is gonna be a daily driver until the day comes I pay this thing off. Less than 2 years. Then I'll buy my next project. A Pontiac G8 GXP.

My primary focus is gonna be sled pulling though. I'm really on a tight budget though guys and my running with the top dogs on the pulling circuit is not my goal. There are far too many rules packages out there to run in and make sure the truck is set correctly. I'll have more parts laying around than I know what to do with.

I basically see me doing pulls at county fairs for local trucks only. And maybe some bigger pulls occasionally.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Wow...so many options!

This is gonna be a daily driver until the day comes I pay this thing off. Less than 2 years. Then I'll buy my next project. A Pontiac G8 GXP.

My primary focus is gonna be sled pulling though. I'm really on a tight budget though guys and my running with the top dogs on the pulling circuit is not my goal. There are far too many rules packages out there to run in and make sure the truck is set correctly. I'll have more parts laying around than I know what to do with.

I basically see me doing pulls at county fairs for local trucks only. And maybe some bigger pulls occasionally.

Give Trent a PM or call. he has a very good price on a S400 turbo with install kit

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
i have a pedestal from e.d. its a cast one and fit perfect. i wouldnt buy a ppe install kit. they suck. we have put 2 on around here and they never fit half way right. save your money and piece together a kit before you waste it on a kit that will piss you off whne installing.

X2. Ive had to completly rebuild 2 now, that have been on for less than a year. Our homemade remote mount pedstal is a lot better! :D

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Thats what I said. But turns out Bulleye is local too. :)

Im pretty sure Ed does their machine work, or thats what i heard anyways, if you go with ED, i hope you have better luck than i do, i told them my rules, they sent me a clipped and protruded 2.8 charger (s480), which thats not in the rules:confused: Who runs 2.8 protruded?:confused: I put a smaller garrett 4202 bushed down to 2.8 on, and it clobbered by 150hp on the dyno with no tuning changes. We eventually went up in PW by 400US and still cleared more smoke than the s480. I decided to go ahead and by a bigger Garrett and weve went up even more. ED has now had my charger since the end of July. They said theyre trying new set ups, i really just want it back so i can sell it. I dont ever see it beating the garrett i have now... I used to be a hardcore Garrett guy, i figured id try something different this year, even though all my tractor pulling buddies told me to stick to garrett... i should have listened...

So if i ever get the turbo back, i know where theres going to be a brand new s480 for sale, i think its actually going to have a 83mm billet wheel in it too!:D

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Im pretty sure Ed does their machine work, or thats what i heard anyways, if you go with ED, i hope you have better luck than i do, i told them my rules, they sent me a clipped and protruded 2.8 charger (s480), which thats not in the rules:confused: Who runs 2.8 protruded?:confused: I put a smaller garrett 4202 bushed down to 2.8 on, and it clobbered by 150hp on the dyno with no tuning changes. We eventually went up in PW by 400US and still cleared more smoke than the s480. I decided to go ahead and by a bigger Garrett and weve went up even more. ED has now had my charger since the end of July. They said theyre trying new set ups, i really just want it back so i can sell it. I dont ever see it beating the garrett i have now... I used to be a hardcore Garrett guy, i figured id try something different this year, even though all my tractor pulling buddies told me to stick to garrett... i should have listened...

So if i ever get the turbo back, i know where theres going to be a brand new s480 for sale, i think its actually going to have a 83mm billet wheel in it too!:D

you would think if they were TRYING new set ups they wouldnt do it on your turbo that you may have wanted to use.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I guess(from reading a similar thread on CompD) the 366XL turbo I mentioned is a S400 because it has the 83 turbine and T4 housing