600 HP Build

Oct 12, 2012
Coatesville PA
How hard is 600+hp to the wheels on and Lb7? kinda want to get an idea because my truck is a ticking time bomb and why its apart I want to throw some money at it... :D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
x2 on using the search feature. At least look at the recent posts.

If your truck is already a "ticking time bomb", then anything you do to it to get to 600hp will finish the job. What is done to the truck so far??

Rods, first and foremost. Besides the "normal" mods to help airflow and fueling, put on an S366, install head studs, and use some larger injectors to keep tuning sane.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
How hard is 600+hp to the wheels on and Lb7? kinda want to get an idea because my truck is a ticking time bomb and why its apart I want to throw some money at it... :D

Hard. How much money you really WANT to throw at it? You will want some goodies. Trac bars, small perf injectors, modded cp3, upgraded limited slip, pump rub elim. kit, fully upgraded transmission, front end upgrade parts, shocks, trans cooler....how reliable do you want it? How far are you willing to push the envelope? Lots of variables to assume an answer to your question:hug:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
:help::toilet_claw::ban-hump::giveup::gotsearch::yup::werd::drama::beatdeadhorse::suicide::bdh::beatdeadhorse::bdh::beatdeadhorse::bdh::beatdeadhorse::bdh::laugh:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Hard. How much money you really WANT to throw at it? You will want some goodies. Trac bars, small perf injectors, modded cp3, upgraded limited slip, pump rub elim. kit, fully upgraded transmission, front end upgrade parts, shocks, trans cooler....how reliable do you want it? How far are you willing to push the envelope? Lots of variables to assume an answer to your question:hug:

How is it hard? A turbo upgrade and tuning alone, with the "normal" supporting mods can get 600. Our trucks dont have a limited slip...its a g80 auto locking diff. Trans cooler also isnt needed. Modded cp3 isnt needed for the most part. Why would he need shocks for 600 horse?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
How is it hard? A turbo upgrade and tuning alone, with the "normal" supporting mods can get 600. Our trucks dont have a limited slip...its a g80 auto locking diff. Trans cooler also isnt needed. Modded cp3 isnt needed for the most part. Why would he need shocks for 600 horse?

He read it online....

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bottom line is how much money you want to spend and how much of a risk you want to take. Plan on atleast 5k if you do everything yourself. Then there is always a chance of blowing the motor and end up spending twice as much as you planned.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Bottom line is how much money you want to spend and how much of a risk you want to take. Plan on atleast 5k if you do everything yourself. Then there is always a chance of blowing the motor and end up spending twice as much as you planned.

Times that number by 2.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012

I read his opening post as how hard is 600whp on the truck....as far as the other mods go, well, it's all a matter of perspective now isn't it. I blew through the g80 at 550whp, shocks and trac bars help control the weight transfer to plant the power, after all 600whp can create all sorts of axle wrap and wheel hop, the trans cooler helps keep temps in check that occur from extra line pressure needed to clamp the frictions.....the modded cp3, sure it's not needed to make the power up front, but it will be needed for long term demand. Sure you can tax everything for all it's worth and make 600 or close to, but that's not how I like to do things :D

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I read his opening post as how hard is 600whp on the truck....as far as the other mods go, well, it's all a matter of perspective now isn't it. I blew through the g80 at 550whp, shocks and trac bars help control the weight transfer to plant the power, after all 600whp can create all sorts of axle wrap and wheel hop, the trans cooler helps keep temps in check that occur from extra line pressure needed to clamp the frictions.....the modded cp3, sure it's not needed to make the power up front, but it will be needed for long term demand. Sure you can tax everything for all it's worth and make 600 or close to, but that's not how I like to do things :D

I know of several 600 hp trucks without an aftermarket trans cooler and they are just fine. Mine was hot (220) when I was running back to back passes at a test n tune, but then I did what mike L said and drained some of my fluid out to the cold line when it was hot and now have not seen it over 185, and it's only at that temp on a hot day at the track. Same thing with the differential and lockers, those aren't needed.

He just wants 600 hp not a fully built truck ready for the drag strip.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Sometimes you guys are too hard on coco puff. He's got the general idea.

No you don't HAVE to have a trans cooler. I'm still on a stock one and am at or above 600 when I want to be.

Getting to 600 isn't hard, it's making everything live after that. Axle wrap will be an issue and tear up u-joints, specially if you tow. How long will that g80 last. If you do ANY sort of drag racing, front end will need all the goodies, then there is the fact your pushing the limit on stock internals. Then you got setup to get to 600 and how you plan to do it. That can make or break you.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
:doh: Geezus H Cripes....600 on an LB7 will, not might, bend the rods. So....build the motor accordingly, because you blew right past the limits of the stock parts. :spit:

BTW, since when did 600hp become the new "normal" anyways?

He read it online....
No kidding :doh: (God, I'm using that smiley a lot lately)

If you want a stock rebuild. Been there.

Times that number by 2.

This is more realistic.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
:doh: Geezus H Cripes....600 on an LB7 will, not might, bend the rods. So....build the motor accordingly, because you blew right past the limits of the stock parts. :spit:

BTW, since when did 600hp become the new "normal" anyways?

No kidding :doh: (God, I'm using that smiley a lot lately)

If you want a stock rebuild. Been there.

This is more realistic.

Tom, you don't know a damn thing about motors. Lmao

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I give up, James. I know quite a few other guys have, too.

We just can't talk sense into some of these guys, and get ridiculed as "haters" by others when we disagree with their course of action based on our experiences.