6 Speed Issues--Slipping or Electrical????

DirtyMatt

Apr 12, 2014
I have a 07.5 LMM with about 40K miles on it. I have run a PPE Xcelerator on it since it was practically new. NEVER have I even tried a level above 4! Most of the time I left it on Level 3. When towing, it would turn it back to stock and since the exhaust was replaced, to Level 1. I don't tow that much other than a 13K lb bumper pull camper.....approx a liberal 1000 miles a year.

So here is what the truck is doing and it does it in urban driving conditions as well as on the interstate. During driving when the truck downshifts, the CEL will come on. THe next time you stop, the trans locks in 4th gear. If you let the truck sit long enough, the trans will reset and be able to drive normally until it happens again while the CEL remains on throughout. The downshifts I speak of are not in acceleration, but more of a "coasting" completely off the throttle.....an off-ramp, going round a corner, slowing down to pull in the driveway type situations.

The shop has had this truck since a week before Christmas....about 4 months. I am no expert by any means but they tell me they have replaced and reprogrammed the shift solenoid the code led them to, replaced the TCM, replaced a ball bearing?? in the valve body (sorry I don't' have specifics) and lastly the wiring harness to the said valve body.

Of course I am out some cash this point, have had the truck back 4 times and am nearly ready to put a pistol in my mouth over the whole situation. So I wanted to see what you guys think and obviously I am open to suggestions on what to do.

Sorry for the long post and thank you all for your input.

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
With any trans limp-- they almost always set a code-and turn on the fault light! Without the code, it is mostly a guess on the "Fix", which sounds like that is what they are doing.

DirtyMatt

Apr 12, 2014
I agree, run from this shop as fast as you can!

I had some reservations in the beginning and asked them if they were comfortable looking at it. They aren't new to Allison work, but aren't a "performance shop" either.

What do you guys think? Get it to the dealer, find someone more knowledgeable with the Allison or other? Just the first time I ever been in this situation and am not sure how to proceed. To be honest, I just need the damn thing fixed. I can't believe it has been as long as it has.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It seems the guys that specialize in Dmax performance do the best job diagnosing and repairing. There certainly cheaper than dealerships.