6.7 PStroke

MechanicalReign

Mar 8, 2012
Ohio
My boss just bought one and it needs an primary radiator already. There known for it. Did research for him. Read real good things but like any Diesel there known for something. his is the 2011 I think and it supposed to be known for the turbos failing(bearings). egr cooler clogging if idle excessive. Valves cracking and the primary radiator failing. Im sure theres something else as well. Newer ones have Improvements over the 2011. He just sees something shiny and buys it lol

They are by far great improvement from the 6.0 and 6.4 thats for sure. Oil changes and fuel filter changes are real easy.

This guy did an breakdown of the motor. Some good info
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hioVGEIegTQ

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Also power steering pumps blow. This doesnt have anything to do with 6.7 because my 6.2 Ford 350 gas truck also had a seal blow out on it. Out here in the sticks when you get stuck in a rut and try to get back on road with wheels at full crank and put your foot thru the radiator almost guarantees a power steering pump failure on a Ford. Other than that like mentioned above 12 model and up great truck.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
I have done quite a bit of research on the internals. A good bit of it being the rods. There are rather small for a diesel. Which I would imagine would mean that they are made of a different process of metal. But so far I can't find anyone that is in the power range that I plan on being and staying in have any issues. They really did fix a lot with the new motor. The water pump is completely external to prevent water draining into the crank case should failure occur. I really never thought I would say this until about 2 years ago but I really think Ford got it right with this motor.

And as far as radiator failure occurring. In what way does it fail. I remember a gentleman on here stating that the LML's were having issues with the fan shroud rubbing holes in the radiator. Just curious how the 6.7's fails.

MechanicalReign

Mar 8, 2012
Ohio
And as far as radiator failure occurring. In what way does it fail. I remember a gentleman on here stating that the LML's were having issues with the fan shroud rubbing holes in the radiator. Just curious how the 6.7's fails.[/QUOTE said:
The Plastic sides on the Radiator fails to seal and leaks. Mishimoto does make an all aluminum one for around the same price the dealer quoted him for a new oem one ($1000 for Just the Radiator).

Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
That same guy in the video above made a video about 6.4 radiator failure. He suspects it is due to frame flex if the truck is used off road heavily. His theory is when the frame flexes it pushes and twists the radiator at the mounts. Could be the same for a 6.7.

Our parts guy has a 6.7 and loves it. Been a good truck for him. It just lost some unnecessary weight last night and he now likes it even more

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
a sales rep from river city diesel told me that the biggest issue with the rods is when they fail they tend to break instead of bend. much like the problem the 7.3 rods had. i thought he said that the 6.7 rods were pmr's

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
i thought he said that the 6.7 rods were pmr's

Yeah and so are all duramax rods and later cummins rods (or at least everything I can find says so)......

Im pretty sure 6.0/6.4 PSD rods are powdered metal too. And not many guys break those rods.

"powdered metal rod" in itself means nothing; its silly that because "powdered metal rods" were such a thing with 7.3 powerstrokes that now everyone hears the word "pmr" and just throws them all into one bucket and thinks/assumes "a powdered metal rod is a powdered metal rod is a powdered metal rod".

All it means is what manufacturing process is used in the creation/production of the rods. There is so much more that goes into a rod...size, design, weight, balance, etc.

You can have a rod that is plenty strong and made out of (gasp) powdered metal.

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
Yeah and so are all duramax rods and later cummins rods (or at least everything I can find says so)......

Im pretty sure 6.0/6.4 PSD rods are powdered metal too. And not many guys break those rods.

"powdered metal rod" in itself means nothing; its silly that because "powdered metal rods" were such a thing with 7.3 powerstrokes that now everyone hears the word "pmr" and just throws them all into one bucket and thinks/assumes "a powdered metal rod is a powdered metal rod is a powdered metal rod".

All it means is what manufacturing process is used in the creation/production of the rods. There is so much more that goes into a rod...size, design, weight, balance, etc.

Ben the 6.0 and 6.4 never ran long enough to snap rods. something else breaks first.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com

6.4 rods will go to 1k hp no problem 6.0s break at 700 (least that's what ive seen)

Last edited: