6.7 Cummins head talk

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I have no clue where to put this, and I have called around every where. I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins in the shop that came in for a head gasket. Easy right??? No. Pulled the head and it's cracked to the point of where it needs replaced.

Question, anybody have experience of head replacement and where to go for one? If not allowed just delete this.

Point me in the direction so I can purchase and get this thing back to him. Btw.... This happens every time I help a friend out haha

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
I have no clue where to put this, and I have called around every where. I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins in the shop that came in for a head gasket. Easy right??? No. Pulled the head and it's cracked to the point of where it needs replaced.

Question, anybody have experience of head replacement and where to go for one? If not allowed just delete this.

Point me in the direction so I can purchase and get this thing back to him. Btw.... This happens every time I help a friend out haha
Happens frequently. We've had decent luck just calling local cummins guys to find a used one, and get it checked. Cross your fingers

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I've had pretty good luck with the Fleece, Promaxx, and Powerstroke Products heads both in the Cummins and GM world. The Powerstroke Products o-ringed stock head is the best value IMO. All are in-stock except Fleece, they're about a week out.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I had decent luck here as well with local diesel shops. Then I also had to call around to round up gaskets. Everything was back ordered. Had to call a shop back in Florida that had the Mahle head gasket. This was about 2 months ago

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I had decent luck here as well with local diesel shops. Then I also had to call around to round up gaskets. Everything was back ordered. Had to call a shop back in Florida that had the Mahle head gasket. This was about 2 months ago

Mahle is in a panic right now with COVID and their new ordering system they implemented in ~Nov/Dec, they've been a mess since then.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I've had pretty good luck with the Fleece, Promaxx, and Powerstroke Products heads both in the Cummins and GM world. The Powerstroke Products o-ringed stock head is the best value IMO. All are in-stock except Fleece, they're about a week out.

Its a stock fuel, trans, turbo tuned truck. Just needs gasket and studs.no need for o-ring/fire ring style

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Its a stock fuel, trans, turbo tuned truck. Just needs gasket and studs.no need for o-ring/fire ring style

For ~$200 most guys end up going with the o-ringed head. Buy once-cry once IMO but in the end it is your/the customer's decision. I've got about ~10 of them in the field without an issue having personally installed 2. If you buy a used head, make sure to have it checked for cracks/valve guides/valve seats checked etc.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
^^yes on bypass kit!

Quick question if anyone wants to answer.. Do you guys know possibly exactly what is causing the failure on much of the older heads? Many friends have told me just overall design and thats my thoughts as well... but curious to see what many of you guys working on them daily find the failure points to be. I ask these type of questions often as I like to see everyone's take on it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
^^yes on bypass kit!

Quick question if anyone wants to answer.. Do you guys know possibly exactly what is causing the failure on much of the older heads? Many friends have told me just overall design and thats my thoughts as well... but curious to see what many of you guys working on them daily find the failure points to be. I ask these type of questions often as I like to see everyone's take on it.

My personal opinion is that the head design and OEM coolant flow patterns are the culprits. I've usually seen cracks towards the back half of the head on the few I've done (haven't asked customers who order just heads where they're cracked, I will from now on) and I think the fact of the rear of the head running significantly hotter than the front plus the thin areas of the head don't help.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
To be honest with you, this one is cracked more on the front front cylinders then the rear. Very odd

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
All the cracks

Attachments

• IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2468.jpg
    IMG_2468.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 34

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
Whats the setup this runs? Just curious ,I have a 12 6.7 5500 and I put it through the work on a light 75hp tow tune. I'd like this one to last a while but I'm 20k empty so it will be tested.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Whats the setup this runs? Just curious ,I have a 12 6.7 5500 and I put it through the work on a light 75hp tow tune. I'd like this one to last a while but I'm 20k empty so it will be tested.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

He said it was tune only. For your usage i would do the coolant bypass, and some 425s with a mls gasket.

^ 100% agree.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I always always always use the haisley studs in Cummins head gasket jobs. if they plan to go north of a stock turbo and I'll even let them get away with a modified stocker I generally stick with MLS and studs only. The clamping for difference now minimal on the haisley studs, they save the customer some money and they work great.

When stepping up to a larger single or compounds, I refuse to do anything but a o-ring set up.

This truck literally has calibrated power tunes ( csp5 ) which I thought were generally moderate compared to things that I offer. But this is something I have not seen before. I even sent pics to pat over at haisley and he agreed that they are some impressive cracks for a stock air/fueling truck.