57 Chevy Duramax

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
OK, Who is the electrician around here. Im putting a Van Wire harness in a 57 chevy , along with the steering wheel, hydroboost, ECM, TCM, and dash gauges (whole cluster), Fuel tank sending unit, fuel transfer pump and rad. , and want to use the Lights, turn sigs. and all that from the van. so it all plugs right into the harness but want to get rid of stuff I do not need. Restraint, Door locks,, electric windows, heater controls, to list a few.
1. Can I get rid of the Restaint system with out repercussions as far as the ECU or anything i can not think of ? Will EFI LIVE let me delete this so lights are not on in dash.
2. Body control Module, can I delete this or is there things I may want. What all does it control?
3.I have a efi live coming but never used one, will this let me remove things that set alarms and lights off in vehicle?
4. Does anyone have a wire scheme for 2006 Express Duramax?
Insane.gif

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 230

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
PM DuraToTheMax, or look in his vendor area for his phone number. Ben can make just about anything harness-related.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It will run just fine without the sub systems, but you will get teh warning lights in the cluster if you use a stock cluster. EFILIVE will let you shut off the theft system, tune the engine/trans, and a few other things, but it will not do anything as far as BCM and other systems go. Ben can probably help you out with those areas as talking data is his thing.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I think you would be a lot better off running the ECM/TCM stand alone and using the aftermarket for the rest of your wiring and gauges.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'm pretty sure you'll need the BCM in order to run the van gauge cluster. That being the case, I'd do what Josh says and run the engine & trans. independent of everything else (i.e. figure something else out for the gauges).

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
Was going Chevy Orange on engine , but then decided to paint car Orange so Now she is a Purple Mopar Eater. (Im a Mopar man Myself).
So Yes i am going to keep the BCM as it runs a lot of the stuff i want, Lights, cluster, ect.
It would be nice Keep the Van cluster as I made it fit in the Dash already. I will give josh a call when I see what trouble it gives me.
Got Steering in, just need the new wheel. 3'' MPBR Pipe on with y for 4'' side pipes,
Put a big HOLE in Motor, Took Van intake out and Installed Profab 3'' inlet. Big Difference there.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 102
Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
Alldatadiy.com was a huge help when wiring up my stand alone setup. Just buy a subscription for the right year of duramax van and it should give you all the wiring diagrams and schematics to do what you need. Just a matter of sifting through the info.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
I think you are going to have more time and trouble in attempting to use the bcm vs aftermarket stuff, for very little benefit.

The aftermarket stuff is relatively inexpensive and will be more marketable to resell if the project does not work out.

You should start by just plugging all the harnesses together including the data link connector and communications. Attach the b+ and make sure everything is grounded.
Do this all on a bench or the floor. Then use a tech2 and use the special functions to turn on winshield wipers, lights, run the dash etc. This may give you a better idea of what is and what is not possible.

Typically a BCM can be flashed but on some models after 24 hours it can not be reflashed. I would look for a bcm from a van without srs, abs or the other options you do not want to use. Or get the vin number from that vehicle and attempt to flash a used, or buy a new module using tis2web gm factory software.

This a a whole lot of work, good luck with the project.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
I am thinking it my put some lights on in the dash cluster which I can take out, but engine should run fine?? I would like to use the dash cluster and steering wheel with turn sigs, low-high beams and horn. I will find out pretty soon! Got the engine compartment set Today. Need to get fuel and Battery hooked up. What size cable shall I run from trunk to starter, 1/0 size?

DieselS10

May 12, 2009
Oklahoma
I used the harness, ecm, TCM, bcm, cluster, column and fuse blocks for mine and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. I've still got to kill a few warning lights in the cluster for the airbags and seatbelts, but everything works great including the tow/haul and cruise control.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
OH, Thats great to hear. I ran into your S10 build. How is she running? What about the door switches, we will need ECU to think doors are closed, do i need to hook a couple of wires together or can I remove warning with EFI Live?
I can not seem to find any chrome for the duramax, Alternator, a/c compressor?? Anybody seen any?? I Need it bad. Getting rad and intercooler Mocked up a little better. Notch the frame to lowered the Rad a little to give a little more room for the intercooler 3" Lines to go over the Top and miss the hood..

Attachments

• IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 84

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
Anyone know how the brake light switch actually works 2006 . Its hooked on the bolt through the brake pedal, I do not see where anything pushes like a switch would to activate the lights .:confused:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Anyone know how the brake light switch actually works 2006 . Its hooked on the bolt through the brake pedal, I do not see where anything pushes like a switch would to activate the lights .:confused:

It has a small square acuator in the switch where it touches the rod on the square end. When it's pressed it rotates a small amount and releases the switch.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
OK,Gottcha, thanks. Maybe it had a holder or bracket that makes it rotate a little. Its not in the van anymore so not sure. Maybe the wires was secured so it rotates?