LLY: 5 speed to 6 speed swap, Will it work? but only be a 5 speed?

Triple L

Lots of learning
Dec 4, 2009
Kitchener, ON
Hay guys, I've done a few searches and came up with conflicting information... Will a 6 speed Allison work in my 04.5 LLY truck with a 5 speed?

I could care less about having the 6th gear, but what im reading is the 6 speeds have high speed ports and wiring where as the 5 speeds are different... If i buy a 6 speed trans, can i bolt it up and plug it into the stock wiring and will it work?

Thanks again!

Triple L

Lots of learning
Dec 4, 2009
Kitchener, ON
somewhere else i read i'll have to put my 5 speed ntsb switch into it also... Im just wondering if everything else will work so i dont buy something that wount work for me...

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
You can get a 6 speed trans, swap in your 5 speed VB, harness & NSBU and it'll work... You just need to make sure it's an "older" 6 speed transmission that has the sensor on the belhousing. The newer (LMM) ones don't have it.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
the tranny is coming out of a 07.5 lmm

You'll probably need to swap bellhousings... I'm pretty sure none of the LMM's have the bellhousing snesor. I THINK the LLY 5 speed bellhousing will work on the LMM 6 speed case.

You would pull the transgo Jr valves out of the 6 speed VB, install them in the 5 speed VB and drill out the proper holes in the seperator plate.