42re help

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Sorry this may be off topic. But I will see if anyone could help.
got a 42re transmission in my jeep. Had a buddy help rebuild it with me. To begin with it wouldn't shift past 2nd. Rebuilt it found a seal busted just before the od housing. Put new clutches in replaced seals, torque converter, governor switch. Put it back in the jeep. Shift through all the gears now but, once past second it wont shift back down. Like its defaulting to 3rd. You can manually shift it down with the gear selector but if its in drive it wont shift down by itself. Anyone have any ideas what could be going on here?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
It's not throwing any codes. It wasn't shifting into 4th after we went through it. Had a tps high output code. Put a new throttle position on and cleared the code and it shifts into 4th now. Thinking tps might have something to do with kickdown. Either way it shifts now. Just not down after it hits third. There are no other codes thrown. Someone at work said governor controls the down shifting. It's in the Od unit Behind the drum ring gear. If I remember correctly I had use the press to get all that back together which was a pain with that spring in there. I have all the band torqued right. Idk I don't know what else it could be besides someone saying the governor. Any other ideas mike? I'm about to pull my hair out with this thing.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It's been awhile, but I think this is an issue with the snap ring for the OD unit breaking. It is a semi common issue with them in high mileage applications, and the only fix is to pull the trans out. Drop the valve body and look for any metal pieces like from a snap ring or retaining lip.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
It's been awhile, but I think this is an issue with the snap ring for the OD unit breaking. It is a semi common issue with them in high mileage applications, and the only fix is to pull the trans out. Drop the valve body and look for any metal pieces like from a snap ring or retaining lip.

That is common.
The back half comes off in car.
But if its staying on the directs that means the servo for kickdown band is not movibg releasing 3rd gear oil and applying band.

I suppose it could be sticking but most likely there is no hydralics.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
This trans is a 604 ( Dodge mini van ) converted to rear drive. Biggest hunk of shit ever built. Bet you will be pulling this trans back out.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
If you don't have a scan tool go to the govoner port.
Line pressure should match roaf speed. As in 1 psi for ever mph.
That would keep it from completing shifts.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
Its basically a A500 or 44re in the durangos. I can pull the overdrive unit off without pulling the trans. All the snap rings were there and in place. It will shift up and down into od and and third, just just 2nd or 1st. So I would say it is stuck in overdrive direct clutch but it still shifts into the overdrive clutches. I have access to a snap-on scan tool too. Will this give me the data I need?This AutoZone one seems kinda limited on what it can do. If so what should I look for? Oh and I just installed tapatalk for the first time and i dont know how to post a reply with it.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Snap on will do it
Trans data
Governer pressure
Just drive and watch

That was most likely the original problem

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
It's a Grand Cherokee Lerado. I will do a trans test. I need trans data then governor pressure? I will get some numbers when I go back over to the guys house my jeeps at.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
This trans is a 604 ( Dodge mini van ) converted to rear drive. Biggest hunk of shit ever built. Bet you will be pulling this trans back out.
I believe it was the 98+ 45RFE, 545RFE, and 68RFE that was the 604 converted. I had one in my DAKOTA and guess I was lucky as it was a great trans. Since this one is in a GRAND CHEROKEE, doesn't it use the electronic governor assembly? It's been a long time since I did anything on one of these as I now refuse to touch one(the JEEPS there in aren't worth what the trans work would cost).

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
This isn't the first time I have had problems with the tranny. I had a parts trans laying around. Put the valve body and solenoids from that one in, shifts like a dream now. Idk what the deal was. Just glad I can try out my new 33s. :D time for some rocks! :thumb:

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
This isn't the first time I have had problems with the tranny. I had a parts trans laying around. Put the valve body and solenoids from that one in, shifts like a dream now. Idk what the deal was. Just glad I can try out my new 33s. :D time for some rocks! :thumb:

It was the governor pressure sensor and transducer. That was most likely the problem all along.

I am glad to hear you got it fixed.