LB7: 4 link: Info, Pictures, Suggestions

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
I haven't 4 linked a Duramax, but I have done several other vehicles. I personally prefer a triangulated 4 link for both on and off road applications. I've always called the traditional parallel link setup "five link" since you have to run the panhard bar as a fifth link.

You will probably have to weld an additional crossmember into your frame to mount the links to. I recommend using good components: thick brackets (1/4" thick minimum), chrome moly DOM tubing, QA1 or other high-quality rod ends and tube adapters. Make sure to gusset the brackets. If you do a triangulated link, you'll need to truss the axle for the upper mounts.

Make sure your shock mounts (both on the axle and where they'll be on the frame) are very beefy. You're going to be carrying all your weight through these points, so you don't want to make wimpy brackets/mounts.

All in all a 4 link is easy to install and set up provided you have some fabrication experience and the proper tools (welder, grinder, cutoff saw/bandsaw, measuring tape, string, plum-bob, etc.). If you have all the parts ready it is something that can easily be done in a weekend.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Moving onto the suspension portion of my build. I'm looking to seek info from anyone who has 4 linked their truck. Pictures, information or suggestions all welcome.

type of 4 link you are going or have in mind would helpful cause everyone seems to use "4 link" as a general term these days :D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
High horsepower Street, drag set up.

that right there leaves you very limited if you want it to hook and move. a ladder bar setup you see on most drag cars would be the best way to go. its essentially a "5 link" as 5 links will attach to the axle. 4 go forward to frame mounts and one will be your sideways panhard bar to keep the axle centered.

the adjustability in that kind a setup is VERY hard to beat compared to a conventional triangulated 4 link/3 link.

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
that right there leaves you very limited if you want it to hook and move. a ladder bar setup you see on most drag cars would be the best way to go. its essentially a "5 link" as 5 links will attach to the axle. 4 go forward to frame mounts and one will be your sideways panhard bar to keep the axle centered.

the adjustability in that kind a setup is VERY hard to beat compared to a conventional triangulated 4 link/3 link.

Appreciate the Info, I'll have to look into this further. I'll be the first to admit this is not my area of expertise

HSP Diesel

Jun 24, 2013
Romeo, MI
Here is my personal project I have been working on for a while, It kinda got shoved to the backburner, but I am hoping to finish it up sometime this fall. I have along way to go and alot of changes to make, but I figured a few pictures might help get some ideas rolling for your build!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Appreciate the Info, I'll have to look into this further. I'll be the first to admit this is not my area of expertise

i wish i could help give ideas on where to get parts and so forth but the knowledge of the type of link systems and where they are better suited is about as far as i go. I mostly mess with triangulated 4/3 link systems but im not a drag racer. this is mainly for desert racing, rock crawling type stuff

Here is my personal project I have been working on for a while, It kinda got shoved to the backburner, but I am hoping to finish it up sometime this fall. I have along way to go and alot of changes to make, but I figured a few pictures might help get some ideas rolling for your build!

Your the one i was thinkin of for the link setup lol. thing should be pretty killer when ever you get her done

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just curious, what is the purpose of welding the diff housing to the outer part of the axle?

keep the axle housing from rotating around the axle tubes and snapping your driveline. in high HP applications and sled pulling, the big spot welds AAM uses to hold the axle tubes to the housing arent always enough to hold the center chunk from twisting.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC

Beautiful fab work! I just got wood lol!

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
keep the axle housing from rotating around the axle tubes and snapping your driveline. in high HP applications and sled pulling, the big spot welds AAM uses to hold the axle tubes to the housing arent always enough to hold the center chunk from twisting.
Makes sense thanks!

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com

I'd expect nothing less than this from you Joe! Pure nastiness! Pretty much exactly what I've been envisioning for mine. Keep up the great work :thumb:

HSP Diesel

Jun 24, 2013
Romeo, MI
I'd expect nothing less than this from you Joe! Pure nastiness! Pretty much exactly what I've been envisioning for mine. Keep up the great work :thumb:

Thank you all very much!

We can duplicate this no problem, lets get your truck to my shop and we can get started on it!! :thumb::woott: