$396.02 U-joint ?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
A friend took his kids to Florida on vacation and realized he had a bad u joint. Dealer charged him almost $400. I know labor rates are high at dealerships but this seems excessive. What am I missing? He shit his pants when he got the bill lol.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I went to do a u-joint for a buddy. When I pulled the driveshaft I noticed that the rear pinion where u joint connects to was corroding out. Had to replace it. But 400 just for a u-joint I would be hella pissed

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
It was probably at a rate of 120 dollars/hour and at 1.4 hours. The u joint is around 115 dollars at the dealer.

I would think maybe 300 tops with tax and materials, and 200 at an independent shop.

Did the dealer do anything else to the truck or was there excessice rust, broken bolts in the companion flange etc?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It was probably at a rate of 120 dollars/hour and at 1.4 hours. The u joint is around 115 dollars at the dealer.

I would think maybe 300 tops with tax and materials, and 200 at an independent shop.

Did the dealer do anything else to the truck or was there excessice rust, broken bolts in the companion flange etc?
no sir, straight forward repair, took 45 minutes.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
From the time the service writer took the truck in and the time the job was complete was3 hrs 15 min. Looks like he was charged labor for the entire time, but he said the truck was only worked on for 45 min.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
It does not matter how long it was worked on, would you rather pay for a guy who knows his sh%t to do it in 10 minutes, or pay for a guy that never has done it to take all day.

That why there is a labor guide and we charge flat rate.
As long as the techs take pride in the work its a great system

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I pay less for a complete drive shaft. Dealership is not the place to get your truck worked on unless you know they have a qualified tech. Most times you will get screwed and chances are it won't be done right.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
You pay the book time regardless of how long it takes to do the job. Trust me if they had charged him for 3hr 15min the price would have been even higher. That being said, he got robbed.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I pay less for a complete drive shaft. Dealership is not the place to get your truck worked on unless you know they have a qualified tech. Most times you will get screwed and chances are it won't be done right.
I agree. But if I was from out of state and didn't know where a good reputable shop was I'd probably do the same thing and trust the dealer has competent techs.
That's what happened to me when my A/C didn't work when I drove to California and I had to take it to GM there.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Oh well, he was away from home, the shop took obvious advantage of him.....but he didnt lose the driveshaft, broke the trans ext housing, or took out the Tcase, etc and have it cost even more down the road. Live and learn.

Reason I say that is I talked to my Dad today. He and his wife are in Houston for winter, as usual, and the furnace in their TT broke. The repairman charged them $200 for the housecall and estimated it would cost upwards of $500-600 to fix. But what could they do with temps dropping into the 20s tonight? Sometimes you're trapped.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Oh well, he was away from home, the shop took obvious advantage of him.....but he didnt lose the driveshaft, broke the trans ext housing, or took out the Tcase, etc and have it cost even more down the road. Live and learn.

Reason I say that is I talked to my Dad today. He and his wife are in Houston for winter, as usual, and the furnace in their TT broke. The repairman charged them $200 for the housecall and estimated it would cost upwards of $500-600 to fix. But what could they do with temps dropping into the 20s tonight? Sometimes you're trapped.

Send them some sweaters and tell them to suck it up:D

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Send them some sweaters and tell them to suck it up:D

My Dad is 81, his wife 80. They've got a couple of those little Amish electric heaters and an electric blanket or two. :)

Dont you have a lift pump to install? :rofl:

edit: I remember when I was a kid, we were on vacation and blew a tire on the car. Dont remember why we couldnt use the spare, but Dad had to buy a tire for something like $150 to get us back on the road. That was highway robbery for a tire back then, but what can you do?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Ask for a refund?

Seriously though, that sucks. I've done one on the side of the road, and I'd definitely do it again and keep 300 in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
My Dad is 81, his wife 80. They've got a couple of those little Amish electric heaters and an electric blanket or two. :)

Dont you have a lift pump to install? :rofl:

edit: I remember when I was a kid, we were on vacation and blew a tire on the car. Dont remember why we couldnt use the spare, but Dad had to buy a tire for $150 to get us back on the road. That was highway robbery for a tire back then, but what can you do?

Lol, that's what I have Dave for :hug: