37" tire suggestions

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I think if you basing your opinion of the Nitto Trails on their performance in the mud your not giving them a far shake. Based on you menching the mud is worse where you live now. The Terras are worse AT I have ran in the mud the Trails have to be better.

A buddy and I where using our trucks to move trailers around a muddy job site in the rain. I had Terras and he had Wild Peaks and he almost was out there as long as me before both of us get stuck. His truck is only a 2wd though both CCSBs his was a cummins also so a bit heavier.

IMO Toyo and Nitto are the same tire for the most part. I bet the Toyos are a hair better generally speaking, but in the mud it would be a draw pretty much.

I'd have to disagree with you on the mud part. The Toyo has a better tread pattern than the Trail grappler does to perform in the mud. The trail grappler is rated to do well in the mud, but it did not to my experience. I didn't try it once but multiple times in different conditions. The worst was when my bro got stuck in his jeep with his BFG MT, he didn't have the clearance to go through at that time. However I have TWICE the clearance he does and got stuck easily than he did due to the tires slipping like it was on ice and the tire did not clean out the mud at all. That was in my own backyard woods during the spring, I had a mud king tire in my old K1500 and never got stuck all season before I moved to AZ and got my duramax. I know what an all around tire should be like, the trail grappler was similar but the patterns were too close to each other. I'd say the trail grappler is only good for hard to medium surface where it isn't too muddy.

The terra grappler I had when I originally bought my truck did pretty well in the west coast was because the mud isn't thick as MA is and it is all sand. I got 45k miles out of that tire. However the life span would have been much shorter if I did tow, terra grapplers are very soft and would wear quick during towing. I won't buy the terra grappler out here, my friend has gotten stuck in his own driveway with those tires in the snow. They don't perform well in the snow, the BFG AT KO doesn't either. They are horrible in the snow.

Comparing to my trail grappler to my friend's Toyo MT, I can tell the Toyo will perform better all around due to a harder compound for longevity and better contact pattern for mud and slick conditions.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
I'd have to disagree with you on the mud part. The Toyo has a better tread pattern than the Trail grappler does to perform in the mud. The trail grappler is rated to do well in the mud, but it did not to my experience. I didn't try it once but multiple times in different conditions. The worst was when my bro got stuck in his jeep with his BFG MT, he didn't have the clearance to go through at that time. However I have TWICE the clearance he does and got stuck easily than he did due to the tires slipping like it was on ice and the tire did not clean out the mud at all. That was in my own backyard woods during the spring, I had a mud king tire in my old K1500 and never got stuck all season before I moved to AZ and got my duramax. I know what an all around tire should be like, the trail grappler was similar but the patterns were too close to each other. I'd say the trail grappler is only good for hard to medium surface where it isn't too muddy.

The terra grappler I had when I originally bought my truck did pretty well in the west coast was because the mud isn't thick as MA is and it is all sand. I got 45k miles out of that tire. However the life span would have been much shorter if I did tow, terra grapplers are very soft and would wear quick during towing. I won't buy the terra grappler out here, my friend has gotten stuck in his own driveway with those tires in the snow. They don't perform well in the snow, the BFG AT KO doesn't either. They are horrible in the snow.

Comparing to my trail grappler to my friend's Toyo MT, I can tell the Toyo will perform better all around due to a harder compound for longevity and better contact pattern for mud and slick conditions.

I have to completely disagree on this one. I had a 91 1/2 ton 2wd that would go anywhere in the snow even 6" on backroads. I own a few plow trucks and skinny tires are more important than anything but BFG AT's do very well in all conditions especially snow. now if you are talking 355 50 r20's than I can understand the traction issue.

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
I have to agree that trails are one of the worst mts in mud. Anybody ran the Goodyear wrangler mtr oz? I had a set of retreads same pattern in 35x12.50 that pulled hard in the mud never once got stuck or even close.

lemay153

Mar 1, 2012
X3 on the Toyo MT. I ran them for 45k on my Dmax. I beat the hell out of them. Hot, rocky desert driving. Ate them up with rock rash. They still lasted me. Out here I wouldn't put them on again only because AT tires don't get as rashed up as the MT's. I went back to BFG AT's and that suits me better here. If I moved back east where I need an MT I would switch back to the Toyo's. Another plus is they're E rated. The BFG MT's are only D rated and the same with most of them in 37's beside the Nitto's but you didn't like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Been running P/C xtreme M/T's. 37x12.50x17. Previously same brand tire but a 38.5x13.50x18. Tires are decent in dirt,sand not too bad in mud but sucked in the snow. Road noise is bad until they start to get an uneven wear and they get loud as f@ck. Have been debating what to run next. Either the P/C A/T's or Toyo A/T's maybe Toyo M/T's.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I have Goodyear Wrangler MTRs with Kevlar now and don't think I'll run them again. They do good in the mud, pavement dry/wet, and snow/ ice too. However they are loud and chunk off with hard driving on a big tune. Heavy too I lost 1.5mpg or so over my Terra and BFG MTs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
just FYI guys, when you start comparing different sizes of tires, its not a fair comparison and here is why.

I worked at a tire shop as my first job (discount tire). great for a high school kid and someone going to college (till your new boss turns into a dick and pushes you out of work) but you start to see and realize some things. You can have the same designed tire in two different sizes and one get twice the mileage of the other before worn out. I saw that first hand with Yokohams, BFG KO's, and others. The biggest example i can give is a 37x12.50R17 BFG KO vs a 315/70R17 (35x12.50R17). The 37" variant would only last a guy 20-30k max. i saw it time and time again on many different vehicles (light, heavy, didnt matter). they also sucked in the snow and mud. Now the 315 variant would get 50-60k easy and worked much better in snow but still wasnt that great in mud (thats just due to tread design). I saw many hummers get this mileage out of them as well as my old 1500 that ran them and had 50k on them when i sold the truck with 1/4 of the tread left still. They just flat out lasted and worked

Now i have no idea how the KO2s are in those sizes but i have a set of 33x12.50R15 KO2s on my tracker and they are wearing great after 3k miles. doesnt even look like ive driven them since new.

i dont know what the tire mfg's do but you have all kinds of variables with tire wear as soon as the size changes. what works in one size may not work in another so before you guys start a war on tires and how they work, remember this when you have a different size than being discussed. you can call me full of shit and aint true cause you buddys truck had them wear at the same pace as you and they didnt work for shit off road like yours, im just saying not all tires cross their mileage and traction as size changes. 37s in particular start this change.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I love the metric size tires, 355 65r18's, 355 60r20's, both are lighter than a mud terrain and last 40-50k depending on driving.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I spend alot of the time driving in clay mud. (Farming) I've tried many different tires and sizes. The toyo mt is hands down the best performing mt that still has manners on pavement.

Goodyear duratracs worked well, but had to be spinning quickly to clean out, plus I've blown several with sidewall punctures.

The toyo at2 is worse in the mud and snow. It does well on gravel, dirt, and pavement, and wears like iron. I've got 20k on the set I have on my powerstroke and they are just starting to look a little worn. I expect to get 50k out of them easily.

The cooper stt was one of my favorites, but it wore very quickly. It had a softer ride than the toyo mt due to a lighter load rating and softer compound but the most I ever got out of a set was 30k.

I'm going to buy some toyo rt's for my powerstroke next, and some of the new cooper stt pro's for my duramax when the time comes to replace them. It should be an interesting test. I hope both tires perform as well as they say they do.:thumb:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't doubt you James one bit. I did a bunch of work for Goodyear and made some friends with a guy that work with their chemists. Not only can the size change the compounds but where you buy your tires too. They make special compounds for the each vendor too. So your MTs from Discount could be a lot different from the Independent tire shops.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I run the military Hummer beadlocks and 37's last set lasted 0ver 50k oh and plus side is rims and tires cost $720 for all 4 mounted balanced out the door:thumb: