2wd to 4wd conversion

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
the np205 isnt gods given gift to the 4x4 world that everyone thinks/assumes it is. Yeah its gear driven and has a cast iron case, whoptee frikkin doo. Whens the last time you heard of a 1000+ rwhp dmax splitting open a stock chain driven NP261/263??? :rolleyes:

not to mention its low range (1.96 or whatever it is) isnt anything to write home about.

I bet you could break a 205 behind a dmax a LOT easier than you guys all think...

ben

So what do you reccomend then? Or are you just going to cut down their idea with nothing to help them out or even suggest a better option??:rolleyes:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What wiring actually has to be ran from the t-case to the ECM/TCM?

The output speed sensor is required for the trans to shift and for the speedo input, a wire to tell the ECM when you are in 4X4(front axle engaged) for the indicator, and you have to have an input to tell it when you are in 4X4 low range for the trans to recalculate the shift points.

Last edited:

Dazedandconfused

Lost in the diesel smoke.
Jul 26, 2007
Nothern Ky
Do you have to wire the front end? Looks like all I woul need to install a t-case would be the wire for 4lo. Looking to add a t-case to help lower gearing and pull in the 2 Wd class.

Dazedandconfused

Lost in the diesel smoke.
Jul 26, 2007
Nothern Ky
Bumping this back up. So the only wire I really need is to tell the ecm it's in 4lo to operate correct? Thinking with a straight axle conversion this is all that would be needed correct?

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
Bumping this thread again. To operate 4lo your going to need a switch to tell the ecm it's in 4lo and also modify the ratio's to accommodate the different output ratio of the NP205, since its 1.96:1 in 4lo.