260,000 miles blown head gasket

darkone98

Sep 12, 2012
Markerville, AB
The heat-up time I'm assuming is due to the trapped air in the heater loop, it's possible yours won't do it, plus mine was in -30c weather. Those testers certainly work for me, the fluid in mine changed from blue to yellow in less than a minute. It's almost certainly head gaskets.

wkachnik

Aug 7, 2013
The heat-up time I'm assuming is due to the trapped air in the heater loop, it's possible yours won't do it, plus mine was in -30c weather. Those testers certainly work for me, the fluid in mine changed from blue to yellow in less than a minute. It's almost certainly head gaskets.

Well I guess it can't hurt to test - just the pocketbook a little. Though if it comes back negative I don't think we can rule HG out given the poor feedback on the reliability of the tests.

darkone98

Sep 12, 2012
Markerville, AB
Cost me $65 at NAPA for mine, It will do a few vehicles. Mine sees alot of cars, and every time a head gasket is suspected, The tester has not lied. I believe a long shelf period of the chemical the gasses are drawn through could have an impact on it's reactivity, but that's just my opinion.

wkachnik

Aug 7, 2013
WOW - well just bought a new reservoir tank and it's COMPLETELY different from the one that's IN the truck now!

The one that's currently in truck DOES have a relief valve at the bottom of the tank that IS faulty. The new one DOES have the relief hose at the top/side of the tank like everyone has been describing.

Not sure where the current tank came from but will install this new one and see what happens...